Assistant Vice President Underwriting, Healthcare Segment Zone Leader - Southern Zone
From our humble beginnings over 100 years ago to a position of leadership in the insurance industry today, CNA continues to build on a long, proud tradition. Our history is a rich story of service, growth, financial strength and stability. For more than a century we have built strong relationships with business partners and customers creating a legacy of innovation and service. Today CNA is well positioned to compete and win in the commercial insurance marketplace.
With 2014 premiums written of over $1 billion, the Healthcare business is poised for additional growth. With the recent execution of a structure change to more effectively utilize CNAs branch distribution system as well as strategically placing Healthcare leadership positions closer to the point of sale, we have a refreshed and reinforced the foundation to take the Healthcare Industry segment to the next level.
We currently have an opportunity to add a world-class leader to the Healthcare team. The Assistant Vice President, Underwriting Healthcare Zone Lead will drive the overall Healthcare strategy for the Southern Zone. The Healthcare Zone Lead will manage a distributed team of Underwriters, ensuring growth and profitability goals are met.
The successful candidate with be a critical member of the Healthcare and Southern zone leadership teams, a key voice regarding strategy, and a logical succession candidate for both field leadership and line of business ownership opportunities as CNA realizes its goals.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
* Implements strategic objectives, underwriting strategies and best practices with substantial impact on the short-term success in the Southern zone.
* Ensures the achievement of continued profitability, growth and/or operational efficiencies for the Southern zone through assessment of risk tolerance, market appetite and emerging risk issues.
* Evaluates underwriting performance based on financial analysis. Includes rate, reserve adequacy, operational, planning and product reviews. Provides results to members of the underwriting management team and develops plans to resolve issues.
* Monitors the usage and profitability of alternative pricing programs.
* Drives adherence to underwriting authority delegation, audit criteria and catastrophe management for the zone.
* Collaborates with business partners in Risk Control, Actuarial, Claim, Worldwide Operations and Compliance to address governance and compliance issues related to underwriting practices.
* Provides guidance and direction in the development of underwriting and training tools.
* May lead, direct and have full management accountability for staff in area of responsibility with an emphasis on talent management and succession planning in accordance with strategic direction.
* May take lead responsibility for the development of underwriting strategies and position papers for emerging issues when assigned.
* May maintain relationships with branches, brokers, agents and customers to assess risk tolerance, market appetite and emerging issues.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
* In-depth technical knowledge of underwriting theories and practices within the insurance field.
* Ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels of external and/or internal business partners within scope of responsibility, team and/or matrix environment.
* Leadership and management skills, demonstrating integrity and professionalism.
* Ability to drive results by identifying, and resolving problems within scope of responsibility.
* Knowledge of the insurance industry, its products and services.
* Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
Education & Experience
* Bachelors degree with Masters preferred in a related discipline, or equivalent.
* Typically a minimum of 10 years of related work experience, with five years management experience.
* Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) roles.
Primary Location: United States-Georgia-Atlanta
Other Locations: United States-Georgia-Atlanta
Organization: Field Ops Southern Zone
Job Posting: Aug 11, 2016
Unposting Date: Ongoing.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.