This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/2/2016
END DATE 11/30/2016
San Diego, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAlere's diagnostics deliver reliable and actionable information, resulting in better clinical and economic healthcare outcomes globally.Our socially-conscious business approach focuses on creating breakthrough, cost-effective diagnostic solutions that address the most intractable diseases for all populations in all corners of the world including infectious disease, cardiometabolic disease and toxicology. Alere is committed to delivering high-quality products and services that patients and providers can rely on for consistently accurate and actionable information. We deploy unique innovative technologies that not only transform diagnostic products, but also expand into new platforms and solutions with proven health and economic outcomes.
We have a challenging opportunity for a Counsel to join our fast paced dynamic legal department. The ideal candidate will work closely with the North American Cardiometabolic and Infectious Disease Business Units The candidate will need to apply a comprehensive understanding of the business together with legal expertise to achieve business objectives. The ideal candidate will work closely with the business, clinical, regulatory, and R&D teams to contribute to our financial and operational success
Additional responsibilities may include:
(i) advise the business on regulatory, billing and reimbursement, Medicare/Medicaid and federally funded heath care programs, HIPAA and privacy, and healthcare fraud and abuse matters,
(ii) negotiate, draft and review an extensive range of agreements, such as distribution, consulting and employment, clinical trial, development, manufacturing, supply agreements and government tenders,
(iii) manage litigation in a manner that positively impacts results, HR litigation counseling. S/he will ensure that the company conducts business in compliance with the law and mitigating risk and exposure,
(iv) implement internal processes to ensure legal compliance for the North American Cardiometabolic and Infectious Disease Business Units
(v) develop and work with Compliance Officer of DOA SBU with respect to compliance programs of the North American Cardiometabolic and Infectious Disease Business Units.
The position could be located in, San Diego, CA or Waltham, MA. The position reports to the General Counsel of Alere Inc. in Waltham, Massachusetts.
* BA/BS and J.D. degrees required, licensed attorney at law in one or more jurisdictions in the United States. Admitted to state bar.
* At least 3-5 years of legal experience, in-house experience strongly preferred but not required. Experience in the Healthcare sector is a MUST, pharmaceutical, biotech device companies a plus.
* Extensive knowledge of healthcare compliance and healthcare/pharmaceutical/biotech.
* Experience advising clinical laboratory testing for drugs of abuse and pain management. Familiarity with coding, CLIA and SAMSHA licenses especially desirable.
* Excellent ability to navigate and influence complex negotiation processes.
* Excellent history of quickly building relationships, gaining credibility and partnering with business leaders, peers, and regulatory communities.
* Outstanding communication and presentation skills.
* Strong contract drafting skills required on a variety of commercial agreements and experience negotiating such arrangements with third parties and their counsel
* Creative problem-solving and decision-making skills.
* Flexible and adapts to change.
* Demonstrated time management and organizational skills.
* Self-starter, requires minimal supervision
* Strong leadership skills and the ability to work as part of a team as well as independently.
* Travel required as business dictates