UX Manager 8/16/2016
The Advisory Board Company
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Title:
User Experience & Design
Share | |Email this job
UX MANAGER *LI
Health Care Product Development
The Advisory Board Company
UX is design and strategy. Just as every business strategy must be grounded in careful market analysis, application design must be grounded in user analysis. We re seeking user experience professionals to contribute not only to our design, but also to our strategy: people who listen and question, thinkers that can find the sweet spot between user and buyer needs, and empathetic individuals. Our UX pros have a variety of tools in their toolbox, and do everything from creating and running user research projects and usability tests to creating UI concepts, producing design documentation, and developing personas with an eye for detail. Our UX designers have opportunities for growth and the space to help shape products within the firm.
The Associate Director is responsible for setting a sustainable design strategy that ensures UX Designers across multiple products deliver a high-quality user experience amidst constant change in a fast-paced environment. This position also assists Senior Management with hiring, coaching, managing, and mentoring a team of geographically distributed design talent. Though the role includes team management responsibilities, this is a hybrid design and management position. The primary focus of this role is to set standards for redefining the typical experience of business intelligence through simple workflows, intuitive interactions, and a clean progressive design aesthetic. A self-starter that is expected to take ownership while leading a team and collaborating with all key product stakeholders using a combination of skills -- including information architecture, usability, and interaction design -- to build and maintain compelling web-based application design standards.
Along with a resume, please submit a portfolio of relevant UX work.
WHAT YOU\'LL BE DOING:
- Hire, coach, manage and mentor junior designers and learn from more experienced colleagues
- Work with product managers and developers to make sure the voice of the user is represented in design and development of products and features
- Establish and champion UX standards within the design team as well as to external stakeholders
- Gain an understanding of the unique challenges facing the health care industry
- Employ a systematic approach for gathering data and articulating findings to product stakeholders
- Create and carry out evidence-based design research projects, both before and during product design
- Marry business and user goals in order to create a balance of sellable and usable products
- Provide rapid output to inform product decisions from concept through to production; design comprehensive layouts and prototypes
- Collaborate closely with other stakeholders including designers, engineers, product managers, business analysts, and more
- Weigh options and make trade-offs to get to the most effective minimum viable product in a quick and decisive manner
- 8+ years of professional UX design experience for interactive web applications along with a robust portfolio
- 2+ years of managing other UX professionals
- Demonstrated experience successfully planning and conducting stakeholder interviews, contextual inquiries, and brainstorming sessions, including documenting results and making recommendations
- Proven knowledge of user experience research methodology and techniques
- Demonstrated relationship-building skills
- Proven experience in managing design teams on long term projects
- Expert knowledge of interaction design principles and techniques
- Proven ability to do all of the following:
- Translate research into a product vision that balances both business and user needs
- Manage dynamic constraints and successfully navigate interactions with a variety of stakeholders
- Communicate process as well as define and measure success metrics
- Estimate scope and timeline within an agile environment
- Education: Bachelor s degree or higher with a focus on the following: information architecture, human computer interaction, interaction design, product design, or cognitive psychology
- Comfortable with dynamic constraints, interacting with and handling feedback from non-designer stakeholders
- Experience with enterprise web and mobile applications for health care, higher education, or finance
- Ability to communicate your process as well as define and measure success metrics
- Proven experience establishing rules and standards for web application designers
- Balance needs and objectives within a lean/agile environment
- Produces results independently as well as collaboratively
ABOUT ADVISORY BOARD
Advisory Board is a best practices firm that uses a combination of research, technology, and consulting to improve the performance of 4,400+ health care organizations. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., with offices worldwide, Advisory Board forges and finds the best new ideas and proven practices from its network of thousands of leaders, then customizes and hardwires them into every level of member organizations, creating enduring value. For more information, visit www.advisory.com.
We are a workplace that...
Values and celebrates diversity of experience, culture, and opinion
Is committed to creating an inclusive environment to enhance our collective experience
Promotes a supportive community through staff-led affinity groups, events, and education
OUR CULTURE & VALUES:
We think Forbes said it best: Making the world a better place is what The Advisory Board Company is all about. We have a unique culture where employees are told to avoid after work emails, encouraged to take 10 hours per month of paid leave for community service, and are expected to add surplus value in every interaction with a member or colleague.
Over the past thirty years, we have developed a distinctive corporate culture based on our values and principles. We award, promote, and praise based on individual performance, capabilities, and ambition. We provide ways for staff to share their time, talent, and passions in the community. We reward innovation and foster a collaborative environment. We have a performance-driven staff and peers that challenge one another in the workplace. And we want free-thinkers, agile speakers, witty writers, and team players to join the firm at Advisory Board, your ideas are heard and your contributions matter.
PERKS (A FEW OF MANY):
Consistent with our belief that our employees are our most valuable resource, The Advisory Board Company offers a competitive benefits package.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, dependents eligible
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- 20+ days paid time off and 10+ paid company holidays
- Daytime leave policy for community service or fitness activities (up to 10 hours a month each)
- Wellness programs including gym discounts and incentives to promote healthy living
- Dynamic growth opportunities with merit-based promotion philosophy
- Benefits kick in day one, see the full details here
LEARN ABOUT US
CONNECT WITH US
Community Impact Twitter
The Advisory Board Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability.