Associate Laboratory Technologist (temporary assignment)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/25/2016
END DATE 12/3/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONMORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS JOB:
The position summary states the general nature and purpose of the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.
The Associate Laboratory Technologist conducts routine laboratory testing following established protocols and work plans under the direction of the Laboratory Manager or Supervisor. The technologist will issue results using a pre-approved standardized template and may compare current test results to established baseline data. The Associate Laboratory Technologist is often assigned to record basic instrument performance data such as temperature readings for incubators or refrigerators. This position is often assigned to complete a simple cross check comparing MSDS on file vs. the actual chemical inventory.
Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
60% Microbiology and Chemistry Tests
* Conducts routine microbiology and/or chemistry tests according to established protocols.
20% Data Entry
* Data entry into a computer database to generate reports and distribute to management.
20% Analysis Preparation
* Includes but is not limited to: sample receiving and grinding; preparation of media, and documenting equipment performance (i.e. temperature in incubators).
* This also includes cleaning of equipment and limited purchasing of supplies.
* The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
* May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
* High School Diploma or GED. Associate s degree or some college and/or previous lab experience is a plus.
* Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
* Ability to accurately enter test results in a data base.
* Ability to use a variety of basic laboratory equipment.
* Strong attention to detail.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Occasionally lift and/or carry 50 pounds.
* Specific vision abilities required include close vision and color vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Frequently exposed to extreme cold and heat.
* Occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme heat and vibration.
* Hazardous conditions could be an issue if there was a chemical spill or evaporation leak. Proper spill kits are kept on site to minimize any hazardous conditions.
* Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud if in the manufacturing and production environments.
* Must be able to work in cramped spaces and in poor lighting and ventilation.