Associate Scientist, Cellular and Translational Immunology
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/1/2016
END DATE 10/26/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONEMD Serono is seeking a talented and highly motivated Associate Scientist to join the Cellular and Translational Immunology group of the Translational Innovation Platform Immunology. The successful candidate will execute and analyze experiments using cellular, immunological and biochemical techniques to support project goals and advance drug discovery programs. The position is a hands-on, laboratory based role. In addition to broad expertise in immunology and cellular biology the candidate will be required to exhibit excellent communication (both verbal and written), ability to work in matrix environment and multitasking skills.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
* Conduct translational studies using biosamples from patients with autoimmune diseases to support pharmacodynamic and biomarker discovery
* Characterize immune cells using standard immunological assays that include ELISA, flow cytometry and multiplex assays
* Execute in vitro functional assays using primary human leukocytes (B, T, DC, Monocytes, etc), handling biosamples from healthy or diseased donors including isolation PBMC or purification of subsets of human leukocytes for the analysis of gene expression, signal transduction and protein readouts to support mechanism of action studies and/or drug candidate assessment .
* Analyze results with limited supervision, and prepare data reports to Lab Head as well as presentations at various forums.
* Contribute to experimental design and provide critical lab support while working in a collaborative team environment
* Operate common laboratory equipment such as Luminex and QPCR-based expression platforms, as needed.
KEY TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
* Expertise in immune cell based assays
* Experience with standard immunological assays and readouts
* Handle human biosamples and preparation of leukocytes from healthy donors and patients with autoimmune diseases
* Experience acquiring and analyzing flow cytometry data (multi-parameter FACS, intracellular staining, phosphor-protein analysis)
* Strong hands-on experience in design and execution of cell-based functional assays using human primary immune cells or subsets for target identification and validation, including pathway based as well as more functional based readouts (i.e. cell proliferation, cytokine or reporter assays)
* Able to analyze and interpret data and trouble-shoot with limited supervision
* Possess a though knowledge of experimental design and underlying scientific principles
* Coordinate various activities with external commercial vendors i.e. RNASeq, autoantibody profiling
* Proven ability to effectively plan and organize work activities to meet schedules and deadlines
* Excellent record keeping in electronic laboratory notebooks according to company policy and legal requirements.
* Able to provide timely report of results to project team per request
* Participate effectively as a member of a team within own laboratory and project team
* Closely work with all other members of the Cellular and Translational Immunology group to support departmental goals
* Promote the exchange of ideas, information and feedback
* Provide technical support to colleagues in own area of expertise when necessary
* Excellent organizational skills and a do-what-it-takes attitude
* Capable of critical thinking and problem solving
* Work independently and able to support multiple projects simultaneously
* Demonstrate ability to design experiments assessing complex biological systems
* Demonstrate the ability to critically analyze and present data
* Demonstrate clear and professional verbal and written communication skills
CANDIDATE S PROFILE
* Bachelor s degree or Master s degree with minimum of 3 years work experience in Immunology or a related field
* Fluent in English
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
* Industry experience is preferred but not essential
* Good understanding of basic Immunology principles required
* Comply with laboratory safety procedures
* Specific knowledge and hand-on experience in the following are highly desirable: Tissue culture, especially human primary cell culture, immune cell isolation from human whole blood (PBMC), magnetic cell separation
* Functional assays: proliferation, cytokine assessment, reporter assay
* Flow cytometry: multicolor immunofluorescence staining is a plus
* Molecular Biology: DNA/RNA isolation, QPCR, Western blotting
* Bioanalytical assays: ELISA, Luminex, or MSD
* Laboratory equipment: autoMACS, Microscopy
* Highly proficient with computer software: GraphPad Prism, FlowJo, BD FACS Diva, Microsoft Office Applications
EMD Serono is the biopharmaceutical division of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, a global pharmaceutical and chemical group. We strive to create value and benefit patients by transforming medical science into breakthrough solutions in our core therapeutic areas of neurodegenerative diseases, fertility and metabolic endocrinology, as well as oncology and autoimmune/inflammatory diseases as emerging areas of expertise.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.