Associate Scientist - Valencia, CA
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/17/2016
END DATE 10/10/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONThe Journey Begins with you.
There's quite a distance between wondering and knowing. And for patients waiting for answers to important health questions, it's a road they want to travel as quickly as possible.
At Quest Diagnostics Incorporated, we understand urgency. But more than speed, we focus our energies on accuracy. Currently, we seek an Associate Scientist - Valencia, CA.
Schedule: Monday Friday, 8am 4:30pm, Day Shift
*Salary dependent upon experience*
REQ # 3763283
Participates on a team of scientists in the development and transfer to manufacturing of processes to purify, characterize and modify enzymes, antibodies and other proteins. Candidate will be expected to work in the laboratory.
Successful performance of job duties contributes to the success of projects in support of product development activities. Impacts the ability of the project team to meet assigned goals.
1. Plans, conducts and records results from moderately complex analysis, manufacturing, development or research experiments within a specific product or technology area. Performs laboratory experiments following established protocols and company procedures.
2. Reports status of assigned projects through the preparation of detailed reports and documentation that summarize experiment results. Interprets results of experiments and makes recommendations for improvements.
3. Works on individual assignments, as a member of a project team, or as a leader of small work groups on segments of projects. Presents experimental results to supervisor or project team members and contributes ideas to improve team processes.
4. Identifies problems and investigates alternatives. Follows recommended courses of action. Works with team members and other Business Unit personnel as appropriate to meet department and project objectives.
5. May assist in preparing articles and reports for publication or presentation at scientific meetings or to customers.
6. May attend technical conferences or seminars. Reads literature in area of specialization to enhance awareness of technological developments that may assist in the completion of an assignment or lead to new products, processes or procedures.
7. Responsibilities include supporting and complying with the company's hazardous waste management program, including following safe, hazardous waste handling practices.
8. Utilizes current field-specific core technologies and approaches to problem solving. Contributes ideas for new product development typically within existing markets.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Requires knowledge and skills normally acquired through the successful completion of a Bachelor's Degree (B.A./B.S.) in Chemistry, Biochemistry or related scientific discipline. Master's Degree (M.A. /M.S.) preferred. Typically requires at least 1 year of prior relevant experience often acquired in an academic or industrial environment with a Master's degree, or at least 2 - 4 years of relevant experience with a Bachelor's degree. Experience in a GMP or QSR environment preferred. Experience with PCR techniques and assay development for molecular diagnostics products is strongly preferred.
Excellent written and oral communication, organizational and interpersonal skills are required.
Ability to apply mathematical concepts to problem-solving situations. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance and correlation techniques.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, REGISTRATION:
OTHER KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledgeable in the use of common laboratory equipment and safe chemical handling. Requires a thorough knowledge of related products and technologies gained through developmental experience in an academic or industrial setting. Requires molecular biology skills.
Works under general supervision, receiving instructions on specific assignment objective, complex features and possible solutions. Assistance is furnished on unusual problems and work is reviewed for application of sound professional judgment.
INTERFACE WITH OTHERS:
INTERNAL: Research, Manufacturing, Quality and Business Unit personnel.
EXTERNAL: Customers, Suppliers, Collaborators.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Duties are performed while sitting at a desk, (i.e., operating a computer or typewriter, using a telephone, or writing and analyzing data and/or reports) and working in a laboratory (i.e. running assays, operating equipment, making solutions).
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job duties are performed in an office environment utilizing standard office equipment such as a computer, photocopier and telephone and in a laboratory conducting experiments and operating standard laboratory
1.BS/BA in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry or related field required.
2.2-5 years relevant experience in a research and development laboratory for candidates with a BS/BA degree; 0-2 years experience for candidates holding an MS/MA degree.
How To Apply
Please Log In or Register to Upload a Resume and complete the online Application. Because of the large number of applicants to job openings, Quest Diagnostics will only contact candidates to be interviewed
Quest Diagnostics has many career opportunities for individuals whose talent, initiative and dedication will complement our belief that the patient comes first and that values do matter. We work to earn our customers trust every day by providing the highest quality diagnostic information services in a professional, accessible and informative way. Our workforce is diverse and talented and believes in our vision: "Empowering Better Health with Diagnostic Insights."
[All requirements are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.]
Quest Diagnostics is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Disabled / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity.