Associate Software Engineer
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/9/2016
END DATE 11/19/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Description:
Are you a strong programmer who wants to make a difference and help cure cancer? We are a small, lively team of software engineers and computational scientists committed to agile development practices. Our tools and platforms are used by thousands of researchers across the globe, processing petabytes of data, and regularly consuming millions of core-hours in a week. We are building an elastic, service-based architecture for both public and private clouds to scale those numbers even further as a technology platform for President Obama's Precision Medicine Initiative, enabling medical research powered by 1,000,000 Americans. The ideal candidate will want to learn new domains through our collaborations with a wider community of computational biologists and medical/cancer geneticists.
We are seeking talented and motivated software engineers to join our energetic team to chart this new course in genomics. We are a core part of the Broad Institute, a deeply-collaborative scientific institution that is transforming medicine and human health by building software solutions to process and analyze scientific data on an unprecedented scale. No medical, genomics, or scientific background is required, just an enthusiasm to improve the world of medicine and an ability to write exceptional software.
Our ideal candidate will work closely within a close-knit, friendly team and will
* Enjoy working in a collaborative setting with existing team members
* Be able to work independently and know when to ask for help
* Enjoy solving complicated algorithmic problems and understand good software development practice
* Have good attention to detail and take pride in his or her work
* Have a strong desire to learn about sequencing, genomics and the scientific work of the Broad Institute
* Work with team lead, product owners and users to understand and define requirements
* Design and build new software tools and systems, on the cloud and in the datacenter
* Perform comprehensive unit, integration and scale testing of all software produced
* Work with existing users to provide education and resolution of issues
* Work to integrate new technologies and systems into existing infrastructure
* Ad-hoc analysis of problematic datasets to help resolve issues encountered by users
* Participate in group design and code reviews Requirements:
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
* Familiarity with fundamental data structures and algorithms
* Experience working with users to develop and document requirements
* Excellent communication skills and the ability to perform effectively in a fast paced environment required.
* Technical knowledge and skills:
o Basic knowledge of Java including performance, memory management, threading
o Experience with Scala, or a modern functional language preferred
o Familiarity with relational databases and in writing SQL queries
o Experience working in unix/linux environments, including basic shell scripting
o Familiarity troubleshooting complex distributed systems preferred
o Proficiency in basic statistics preferred, but not required
EOE / Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Disabilities