Asst Watch Engineer
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/29/2016
END DATE 11/8/2016
Under the direction of the Watch Engineer and in accordance with standing orders, operate plant equipment as necessary during normal and emergency operating conditions to ensure a safe and economical operations. Conduct regular rounds to check equipment and record equipment operating parameters.
* Operate local and remote control panels for the gas turbines, steam turbines, generators, heat recovery steam generators, high temperature hot water generators, chillers and other major equipment, including start-up, and shutdown. Operate auxiliary systems. Make operating tests, inspections, repairs and adjustments to equipment assigned to secure proper operating conditions. Draw water samples from various plant systems and perform chemical analysis to ensure that the water quality meets minimum standards.
* Work within and insure strict adherence to all safety and environmental procedures. Lock out and tag out equipment to ensure a safe work environment for technicians working on equipment. Prepare equipment and make ready for service after repairs are complete.
* Maintain operational logs and prepare reports as directed by the Watch Engineer. Report any abnormal or irregular conditions that develop during the progress of the work and take corrective measures within the scope of operating instructions.
* Perform preventive and corrective maintenance that can be accomplished while on shift and during unit shutdowns.
* Perform emergency operations during unit trips and abnormal operating conditions to place plant equipment in a safe operating condition.
* Perform housekeeping tasks to maintain a clean safe work environment and professional appearance.
* Perform other tasks as directed by the Operations Manager.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the essential functions of the job and are not to be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
* H.S. degree or equivalent experience.
* NYC Refrigeration License. (NYC Boiler License a plus). EPA technician certification Universal.
* Valid Drivers License.
* Must meet and complete all the Assistant Watch Engineers requirements outlined in the JFK Energy Center Employee Qualification Program. Must meet all the qualifications of the Apprentice.
* Must have a thorough knowledge of established operating procedures, rules and instructions pertaining to the duties to be performed.
* Must have a practical working knowledge of the function and operation of the major equipment of the steam and hot water generating systems, chilled water systems, the thermal distribution systems, cooling water systems, electrical systems and water treatment systems.
* Must be able to receive and execute orders with accuracy.
* Must be able to troubleshoot and diagnose problems in systems, read and interpret blueprints, equipment specifications, and vendor service manuals. Ability to understand, develop and/or complete records and reports as required.
* Must be cooperative with those he/she contacts in this work (Co-Worker, Terminal Operators, Port Authority Personnel and General Public) and have the ability to work without direct supervision.
* Must know the hazards involved and the safety precautions to be practiced in the operations/maintenance of power plant equipment and machinery. Work within and insure strict adherence to all safety procedures.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
* The Assistant Watch Engineer must be able to climb at least 50 feet of rung ladder to access scaffolding, platforms, and other plant sites. Must be able to lift and carry heavy objects. Must be able to distinguish colors and perceive depth. Ability to remain alert during extended working hours. Ability to be fitted with full-faced respirator or ability to use a self contain breathing apparatus. Ability to work in confine spaces.
* Ability to drive a company vehicle. Must posses a valid driver s license. Ability to learn new skills and knowledge. Position requires extended working hours and varied shifts with the possibility of weekend and holiday work, as required by plant conditions.
* All employees will participate in the fitness for duty program which includes preemployment physical examination and drug screening.
* Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
* Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
* To know more about Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP, please visit http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm