Automation Engineer 8/24/2016
Verizon Wireless Inc.
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY PRIMARY SKILL REQUIREMENT - AUTOMATION WORKFLOW ENGINEER
The Network Automation initiative requires a new skill set to undertake and accomplish strategic efforts focused on the continuous development and continuous integration of software defined networking elements and virtualized network functions within a cloud environment. The individual's role and responsibilities have a national scope and is expected to work collaboratively with other teams and organizations supporting these strategic efforts.
This position will research, document and develop key technologies focused on advanced process automation using workflow based techniques and technologies through integration of target COTS and Open Source technologies to build innovative solutions for automating the on-boarding and certification testing of software defined network elements and virtualized network functions. The individual is expected to work with the various selected technologies and will define and develop a workflow-based automation engine that processes automation workflows using decision logic and programmatic interfaces available within these technologies. As well, the individual will be recognized as a technical expert in this discipline and must be capable of demonstrating leadership in the definition and development of the varying solutions that will be required to create the automation ecosystem. Finally, the selected candidate must show a willingness to share technical knowledge and mentor others in the performance of this role.
The Automation Workflow Engineer has subject expertise and works under the direction of and for the Network Automation Engineering Manager. This individual is assigned task, activities and responsibilities equivalent to their professional maturity level and is expected to work independently, and as well as collaboratively, in the performance of this role.
The Automation Workflow Engineer will lead all efforts to identify the optimal definition of the workflow-based automation engine and automation processes along with the integration of the target technologies by working all issue resolutions, uncovered or discovered during the execution of their assigned work efforts, with the appropriate supplier vendor and/or the internal/external stakeholders.
Researches, determines and selects key technologies identified for the automation ecosystem. This responsibility will affect the timely outcome and usefulness of the automation ecosystem.
Specifies, designs and implements a workflow-based automation engine and process automation workflow decision logic and integration points for the targeted integrated application interfaces within a service bus architecture thus creating a cohesive workflow automation solution. Decisions concerning process automation and workflow technologies will influence and predict the robustness, stability and flexibility of the automation solution thus impacting budget related expenditures for maintaining and evolving the ecosystem.
* Research and specify the optimal solution for workflow-based process automation
* Design and develop the identified optimal workflow-based automated processes
* Test and certify the implemented optimal workflow-based - automated processes
* Maintain source level control of all workflow and automated process work product
* Troubleshoot and resolve all defects and incidents in a timely manner
Discipline expertise and qualifications include, but are not limited to:
* Advanced process engineering through automation; workflow analysis and development; AaaS (Automation as a Service)
* Variant programming languages (C#, Java, SQL, C/C++)
* Variant data/document languages (XML, YAML)
* Service-oriented architecture (using SOAP/REST)
* Linux/Windows scripting
* Application and database integration
* Non-simplistic system architectures and designs
* Experience working in a virtualized, cloud environment (OpenStack, KVM and supporting systems)
* Excellent technical and scientific writing skills
* Highly skilled in creating technical diagrams, charts and visual presentations
* Ability to articulate complex details in an organized, comprehensible manner
Education and experience:
* BS/MS in Computer Science or Information Technology, MS preferred
* Minimum of 8years of proven, demonstrable work history of developing automation technologies