Aviation Security Specialist
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/27/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
The Air Line Pilots Association, Int'l
JOB DESCRIPTIONThe AIR LINE PILOTS ASSOCIATION, INTERNATIONAL (ALPA), the largest airline pilot union in the world and the largest non-governmental aviation safety organization in the world (representing over 54,000 pilots at 31 U.S. and Canadian airlines) seeks an experienced Aviation Security Specialist for our Herndon, Virginia, office. The AVIATION SECURITY SPECIALIST provides project coordination and subject matter expertise and analysis in support of the activities, programs, and security initiatives of the Association. S/he coordinates with and acts as liaison between ALPA and appropriate government agencies, law enforcement entities, and the aviation industry. Assists in the development of training programs to train ALPA representatives performing security work on behalf of the Association. Creates and expands his/her network of government and industry contacts. Develops communications to membership, government, and industry groups on a wide variety of security-related issues, as needed, in coordination with relevant Association leadership, Master Executive Council (MEC) representatives, committee representatives, and national officers.
S/he represents ALPA to government agencies such as the Transportation Security Administration; Department of Homeland Security; FAA; Department of Justice; Transport Canada; Canadian Aviation Transportation Security Administration; state and local law enforcement agencies; and, with airline security directors, airport security directors, and others. Works with the ALPA Aviation Security Chair and members of the Air Safety Organization (ASO) security structure, plus other components of the ASO as needed, to plan and implement the Association's security policy and goals. S/he also assists MEC Security Coordinators with issues pertinent to their respective companies and specific situations. Works as needed with ALPA's national officers, staff, leadership, and members to implement Association positions and policies. Exercises independent judgment and initiative to recommend meetings, programs, and efforts that further ALPA's security-related goals.
LOCAL, NATIONAL, AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL: 20-40 %.
MINORITIES, VETERANS, AND PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
* Bachelor's degree in relevant area, e.g., criminal justice, law enforcement, aviation, aviation management, airport administration and management, or other related discipline, from an accredited college or university; or, the equivalent combination of education and technical experience.
* Four (4) years of relevant aviation industry experience in areas related to security analysis, law enforcement, airline corporate security, and/or airport security required, eight (8) or more years strongly preferred.
* Legislative Affairs experience is a plus.
* Security Clearance is a plus.
* Ability to work in a team environment is essential.
* Strong technical writing and public speaking skills required.
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, oral and written, for effective interaction with internal staff, pilots, and external contacts.
* Software: Microsoft Office: Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel.
_Note: The physical demands described herein are characteristic of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential physical activities of this position described below. _
Constantly operates a computer/smartphone/tablet. Regularly required to maintain a stationary position, move about the office, determine what others have said or written, and converse with others and exchange accurate information.
Regularly required to sit, stand, bend, reach, and move about the office and travel (locally, nationally, and internationally). May also include occasional bending, stooping, squatting, and/or pushing and pulling or moving, e.g., to pack, unpack, and/or move cases.
Occasionally required to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve binders, books, boxes, and files up to ten (10) pounds (lbs.). While on travel, could be responsible to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve binders, boxes, cases, and/or files weighing as much as 50 lbs. (Assistance may not always be available.)
ALPA OFFERS COMPETITIVE SALARIES WITH EXCELLENT BENEFITS, INCLUDING:
* 26 days paid vacation and holidays per year;
* Generous sick and bereavement leave;
* Generous health care benefits - PPO, two HMO's (where available) and a High Deductible Health Plan which includes coverage for medical, dental, and vision benefits for employee, spouse, and/or dependent children;
* Company-paid premiums for disability and life insurance;
* $2 for $1 matching 401(k) retirement savings plan; Roth 401k;
* Flexible Spending and Health Savings accounts; and
* Retiree health plan.
PLEASE APPLY TO THE ROLE HERE:
THE AIR LINE PILOTS ASSOCIATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
RELOCATION NOT PROVIDED.