BED MANAGEMENT ASSOCIATE
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/2/2016
END DATE 10/11/2016
Yale New Haven Health
New Haven, CT
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY OVERVIEW
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The Bed Management Associate is responsible for all functions and responsibilities related to patient placement to inpatient beds in the acute care hospital. Utilizing effective communication, swift decision making, and effective use of technology, the BMA directs the assignment of all admissions, discharges and transfers within the hospital. The BMA utilizes multiple identified computer systems in order to assure timely and accurate bed placement as well as demographic, clinical, visit status and insurance information. The BMA is responsible for verifying, reconciling and broadcasting the midnight census to the hospital wide distribution group. The BMA works in collaboration with the Clinical Bed Manager in the facilitation of continuous throughput of patients from all points of entry (ED, PACU, direct admissions), the administrator on call, the Off Shift Administrator, Patient Service Managers, physicians and inpatient bed resources throughout the institution. The BMA also works collaboratively with the Associate Chief of Medicine in the determination and identification of appropriate team assignment and coverage. The BMA will also provide support to the ED Registration team and other areas of PFAS as deemed appropriate.
* 1. Patient Throughput
* 1.1 Assigns all elective and emergent admissions and transfers including adult non-maternity and pediatric patients.
* 2. Census Verification
* 2.1 Documents as appropriate all bed movement activity to assist in the compilation of the midnight census for distribution within the hospital to support hospital wide budget and financial goals.
* 3. Technology Resource Management
* 3.1 Maintains strong working knowledge of SDK, SCM, Navicare, BMD and Bed Express along with all other applicable systems that will affect and support bed placement activities.
* 4. Customer Service
* 4.1 Ensures smooth functioning of the bed management process in order to reduce wait times and avoid unnecessary movement of patients.
* 5. Resource Management
* 5.1 In collaboration with the Manager, Bed Management provides the support in other designated work environments within PFAS to support department and patient needs.
* 6. Supports Organizational and Departmental Goals
* 6.1 Performs all functions in accordance with established policies and procedures.
Associate Degree in Business, Health Administration/Health Services, or related field required or relevant strong customer service/technology/healthcare equivalent experience.
Three (3) or more years experience in a hospital/healthcare environment using with experience in coordinating and managing patient flow activities and accurate bed placement to support the delivery of patient care. Strong clinical understanding of patient diagnoses and related care needs.
Excellent interpersonal, analytical, assessment, and computer skills to support critical decision making in effective bed management. Ability to effectively communicate with physicians, housestaff, and nursing leadership in identifying patient clinical needs and coordination of delivery of care. Must be able to prioritize and re-evaluate continuously based on urgent requests and patient flow challenges. Must be able to work under intense pressure with ability to problem solve and multi-task. Must be able to support all job responsibilities of the outpatient emergency department registrar.