BFT PATIENT OBSERVERS NEEDED FOR FAULKNER ALL SHIFTS!
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/8/2016
END DATE 10/13/2016
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
Jamaica Plain, MA
JOB DESCRIPTIONThe Patient Observer provides constant observation for patients identified as a risk to themselves or others. The Patient Observer functions under the direction of the registered nurse responsible for providing specific care-related tasks in accordance with the individualized needs of the patient. All nursing care is provided to the patient by the units/floors nursing staff.
We are currently in need of Patient Observers to work at Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital on the day and evening shifts in the Emergency Room setting. Set schedules are available!
Must be available to work a minimum of 3 shifts per week or 2 weekend shifts per week.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Provide continuous observation of patient(s),does not leave patient unattended Help maintain a safe environment for patients including care of the suicidal patient
* Observe patient(s) for obvious changes in behavior or condition and may be asked to complete a written assessment form of behavioral changes during course of shift
* Provide/receive handoff to/from Observer to Observer, PCA or RN at the change of the shift
* Assists with feeding patient (s) as directed by the RN
* Ensure patient is not pulling out any lines/tubes by gently repositioning patients hand
* Alert the appropriate RN and PCA to assist when a patient call light is triggered Assist patient in the event of a fall and alert the appropriate RN and PCA to stabilize the patient
* Report changes immediately to the responsible RN
* Accompany and assist patient with walking as directed by the RN
* Push patient in wheelchair as directed by RN
* Engage patients in diversional activities as delegated by the RN
* May be required to observe two patients with similar needs during one shift Maintain confidentiality of patient information
* Must maintain constant observation including must not leave patient unattended, not fall asleep, not use devices, or engage in other activities that would distract constant observation activities
* Ability to communicate patient behaviors to the appropriate staff in the event patient safety is compromised
* Must display maturity and ability to exercise sound judgment using common sense and training acquired through the Bulfinch Temporary Service
* Must be flexible and adapt to changes with patient(s) and or location
* Must possess working knowledge of population/age specific competencies Must be able effectively communicate with basic literacy skills
* Must be able to follow direction
* Demonstrate dependability and responsibility with little supervision
* Requires ability to walk with patient or sit for extended period, at times in a darkened environment
* Requires ability to stay aware/awake during all shifts May be required to wear a mask or other personal protective equipment while Observing patient with precautions
* Must wear professional attire
* Previous patient environment exposure/experience preferable
* Completion of training
* Must review job expectations and complete a Patient Observer Assessment Complete annual retraining in Standard Precautions, General Safety, Confidentiality, Drug Free Workplace and Standards of Behavior
* Complete annual TB testing Education High School or equivalent
* Prefer candidates furthering their education in direct patient care roles
Emergency Room of hospital
Areas may be busy and fast paced at times May be exposed to urgent patient situations
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.