BFT RESEARCH ANIMAL TECHNICIAN NEEDED AT CCM 9/17/2016
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY The BFT Research Animal Technician is an entry level position that provides husbandry, health surveillance, and compliance monitoring to laboratory animals. Responsibilities also include performing equipment sanitation in CCM animal facilities, maintaining husbandry and equipment records, and supporting the facility teams in daily work as needed. The work schedule is primarily Monday through Friday, 7-3:30 pm (part time work during that timeframe or weekends may be considered). While previous experience is preferred, this is an entry level position and training will be provided.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Sanitize and operate animal facility equipment, including the use of tunnel washers, rack washers, acidified watering systems and autoclaves for sterilization.
* Assemble caging supplies in a manner that assures that they remain sterile throughout the handling process.
* Perform daily work involving the handling of genetically engineered animal models, animals with immuno-compromised health status, animals recovering from surgery or other invasive procedures
* Change cages or pens following aseptic technique and assure that animals are not contaminated when outside of their primary enclosure.
* Maintain animal rooms (secondary enclosures) and facility hallways in a clean state so that secondary infections or other contaminations do not occur.
* Evaluate animal's health each day and report abnormal clinical signs to the veterinary staff.
* Perform routine euthanasia on laboratory animals according to the American Veterinary Medical Associations (AVMA) Panel on Euthanasia
* Use current technology including PDAs and bar code application to record daily cage census.
* Report facility and environmental issues that fall outside animal welfare regulatory requirements (as defined in the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals) to the Facility Manager or designee.
* Assist the Facility Manager or his/her designee with incoming animals and supplies.
* Work weekends and holidays, as assigned.
* Comply with CCM and MGH policies and standard operating procedures.
* Other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalency degree required.
Experience in care of animals preferred.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.