BFT RESEARCH TECH NEEDED AT MGH NEUROLOGY
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/8/2016
END DATE 10/28/2016
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Bulfinch Temporary Service is currently looking for a part time Research Tech to work at MGH Neurology. The position begins ASAP and is ongoing. The hours are Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 8/9am-4/5pm. Please note this position is temporary in nature and not eligible for benefits.
A research technician position is available in a neuroscience laboratory studying inhibition physiology, neuronal chloride changes during development and pediatric seizures using in vitro and in vivo models. The candidate will work independently under close supervision of the Principal Investigator. Experiments will involve: in vivo and in vitro imaging of neurons as well as in vitro electrophysiological experiments including data analysis.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
* Perform electrophysiological experiments.
* Image neurons (in vitro and in vivo) using multi photon imaging.
* Perform rodent surgical procedures and animal husbandry.
* Organize, analyze, and summary acquired data using scientific and statistical techniques.
* Organize and/or draft material for the preparation of research papers, manuscripts, or other documents for publication and/or presentation.
6. Will interface with Principal Investigators, post-doctoral researchers, students, and staff to collaborate in various projects.
7. Coordinates efforts among individuals and groups to resolve problems as they arise to ensure smooth progression and timely completion of projects.
8. Meets regularly with Principal Investigator to discuss assignments, projects and administrative matters. Skills, Abilities, and Competencies Required:
* Knowledge of neuroscience, microscopy imaging and basic neuro-electrophysiology.
Proficiency with computer programs specifically MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) is a must
* Familiarity with ImageJ and either IgorPro or Matlab is desirable.
Strong writing skills as the job requires participation of writing and revising protocols, reporting research results, and help creating scientific presentations.
Strong oral communication skills.
Must possess the ability to work independently as well as a member of a team and display initiative in anticipating problems and resolving problems.
Ability to effectively multitask, prioritize multiple projects.
The research technician will be expected to become familiar with the literature that relates to the work and be able to interpret and summarize the results of the experiments.
Intellectual contributions to the work are highly desirable.
Bachelor of Science degree required in neurobiology, neuroscience, physiology or related field.
* Minimum of 1 year of research experience.
* Familiarity with basic lab techniques. Training in more sophisticated techniques will be provided including electrophysiology and microscopy imaging.
* Experience with animal work is required.
* Familiarity with computational skills such as programming/writing scripts in IgorPro, MatLab, ImageJ are desirable
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.