This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/11/2016
END DATE 10/9/2016
University of California - Davis
JOB DESCRIPTIONRequisition Number:
Recruitment Open To:
UCD/UCDHS Employees and General Public
Final Filing Date
Open Until Filled
STAFF RESEARCH ASSOCIATE III
Number of Positions:
$4,202.00 - $6757.00/MO
100%. Monday-Friday; 8:00am-5:00pm. THIS POSITION IS LOCATED IN TULARE, CA.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining unit
CA ANIMAL HLTH&FOOD SAFETY LAB - 072200
The CAHFS laboratory provides California's livestock and poultry industries, and veterinarians who serve them, with diagnostic lab support service for disease control, enhancement of health management, and protection from diseases common to animals and humans. The Tulare branch specifically provides testing to these clientele in Central California.
Allow Applicants to Attach:
Cover Letter Position Details
Under general direction of the faculty supervisor, manage and perform diagnostic testing and related activities in the CAHFS-Tulare Biotechnology section and participate in development and evaluation of new or improved molecular-based detection and diagnostic tools.
Testing performed requires ability to distinguish colors.
Lift boxes and equipment weighing up to 20 lbs.
Job duties require performing repetitive motions. Work Environment:
Job duties require ability to complete Select Agent background clearance procedures.
Work flexible schedule as needed to complete projects and meet deadlines. Occasionally work after hours and share weekend/holiday coverage schedule.
Travel to other CAHFS laboratories, conferences, etc.
Must tolerate strong odors and the sight of exposed animal tissues and blood products.
This position may, at times, require the incumbent to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present. Specific hazards of the position are, but are not limited to rabies, chlamydia (psittacosis, ornithosis), salmonella, cryptosporidia.
This position is subject to Medical Surveillance procedures and review in accordance with Federal and State Laws and Regulations and University Policy.
Per the terms and agreements of the department's contracts and grants, the position will require signing of a Confidentiality Agreement or Non-Disclosure Agreement regarding testing and client information.
UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) will be strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space. Background Check Required:
This position is a critical position and subject to a background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation including criminal history and identity checks. Yes
- Master's or PhD degree in Biology, Animal Science, or closely related fields or equivalent combination of education and experience in related field.
- Advanced learning and experience in the field of molecular diagnostics.
- Skills to provide effective management in a diagnostic laboratory including prioritizing workload and scheduling personnel to meet strict deadlines.
-Skills to work with multiple disciplines in a diagnostic lab.
- Knowledge of quality control and quality assurance methods in a diagnostic laboratory that utilizes complex methodology.
- Experience with quality control procedures in a (diagnostic) laboratory including maintaining accurate inventory and quality control records for biological media.
- Skills to prepare nucleic acids or associated reagents to meet strict quality control standards.
- Knowledge and skills to perform complex diagnostic and assay development techniques utilizing molecular biology and immunology.
- Knowledge and experience to instruct, technically train, and provide consultation to technical and professional personnel.
- Knowledge and skills to develop, implement, critically evaluate performance, quality control and resolve technical problems related to molecular diagnostic and ELISA methods.
- Experience working with and maintaining automated equipment, including thermocyclers, ELISA readers, washers, computers and computer interfaced equipment, micropipettes, centrifuges, biosafety cabinets, fume hoods, electrophoresis equipment, incubators, sonicators, spectrophotometers, inverted microscopes, analytical balances, and pH meters.
- Flexibility to quickly adapt to changing technology, schedules, and work environment.
- Knowledge and skills to use methods of containment, decontamination and disposal of infectious and biohazardous materials.
- Knowledge and skills to comprehend and follow detailed technical protocols, published procedures and methods and equipment operations manuals.
- Skills to maintain neat and accurate laboratory records and logbooks. Preferred Qualifications:
-Experience working in a technical position in a veterinary diagnostic laboratory with large sample numbers and high throughput testing.
-Experience developing and implementing Quality Assurance programs in a diagnostic environment. Quick Link To This Position: