Bethesda - Senior Health Crisis Response Advisor
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/26/2016
END DATE 10/12/2016
University Research Co., LLC
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Description:
SENIOR HEALTH CRISIS RESPONSE ADVISOR
UNIVERSITY RESEARCH CO., LLC (URC)
URC is a global company dedicated to improving the quality of health care, social services, and health education worldwide. With a non-profit affiliate, the Center for Human Services (CHS), URC manages projects in over 45 countries, including the United States.
Established in 1965, URC offers a range of technical assistance to strengthen health and social systems and service quality by empowering communities and health workers to identify and scale up locally appropriate solutions to critical problems. Internationally, we expand access to and improve the quality of services addressing maternal, newborn, and child health; infectious diseases, including HIV/AIDS, TB, and malaria; reproductive health and family planning; food and nutrition; and vulnerable children and families. In the US, we focus on improving communication related to issues like substance abuse, with a particular focus on reaching underserved populations.
URC s mission is to provide innovative, evidence-based solutions to health and social challenges worldwide. Please join us in carrying out our mission (
The Senior Health Crisis Response Advisor will work in collaboration with headquarters and country-based stakeholders in designing, implementing, monitoring, and providing technical assistance to improve the quality of health system and emergency response programs. This includes a rapid Zika response in the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Peru, and Paraguay as well as general activities in the Latin America and Caribbean (LAC) region. This position is based in Bethesda, MD reporting to the LAC Regional Director who is based in Quito, Ecuador.
The Health Crisis Response Advisor will also facilitate and support the implementation of field based programs including developing and reviewing consultant and partner scopes of work, work authorizations and budgets. It involves managing relationships with partner organizations including USAID, PAHO, Ministries of Health, partner organizations, and other international organizations, as well as ensuring the work done as part of the Zika and infectious diseases portfolio is in compliance with USAID regulations. The program activities will primarily focus on introducing and measuring improvements in existing country systems and adapting rapid response and campaign type techniques and reporting to these systems. The Health Crisis Response Advisor is also expected to contribute to business development which includes managing, writing and reviewing proposals.
* Manage headquarter s inputs and support to infectious disease activities on ASSIST, primarily Zika rapid response activities.
* Liaise with ASSIST management at HQ and in the field, USAID, PEPFAR, host country governments, and other partner and stakeholder representatives in implementing ASSIST s Zika Rapid Response and Infectious Disease activities.
* Inform the field of Zika Rapid Response and Infectious Disease programs through evidence gathering across countries on how best to improve care in health systems.
* Identify priorities to respond to health emergencies and rapidly improve quality of care for health systems and furthering ASSIST s work in infectious disease programs.
* Create rapid reporting systems within the project, with USAID and with other donors and stakeholders.
* A Master s degree in public health, medicine, management, or social science. Doctoral degree preferred.
* Ten years of relevant public health experience working in developing countries and the US on aspects of improving health care with a focus on health crisis responses and campaigns, including some experience in Latin America. Experience working with infectious diseases activities highly preferred.
* Five years of successful management experience with infectious disease or crisis response and campaign program activities for international clients, and presenting outcome results to international audiences.
* Knowledge of or willingness to learn Quality Improvement Science and methods
* Fluency in Spanish, in addition to English is required.
* Ability to produce crisis management verbally and interpersonally, and write communications and report in a timely fashion.
* Demonstrated leadership skills in guiding and mentoring staff and the ability to motivate staff, resolve conflicts, achieve consensus, and promote positive working environment.
* Demonstrated ability to build networks and forge partnerships.
* Familiarity with USAID or international donor rules and compliance regulations
* Understanding of crisis management with strong time management and organizational skills.
* Track record of being able to produce crisis management reporting and deliverables in a timely manner, and flexible enough to adapt to changing work priorities.
* Ability and willingness to travel internationally about 25-30% of the time to developing and transitioning countries.
URC IS PROUD TO BE AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
WE VALUE AND SEEK DIVERSITY IN OUR WORKFORCE.