Big Data Collaborative Analyst
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/9/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB TITLE: BIG DATA ARCHITECT/COLLABORATIVE ANALYST
LOCATION : CINCINNATI, OH
TYPE : FULL TIME PERMANENT
JOB DESCRIPTION :
The Big Data Architect / Collaborative Analyst serves as the focal point and technical leader of complex analytic projects in a Big Data environment. The work requires clear communication with a wide range of technical and non-technical team members as well as hands-on technical work using a variety of languages and tools.
The Big Data Architect / Collaborative Analyst will serve as the technical leader of an agile team tasked with the conceptualization, design, documentation and delivery of a Big Data analytics effort. Key tasks include working with data scientists, analysts and the business customer to understand the goals of the analytic project, sourcing the data for the project from across the enterprise, determining data quality and metadata needs for the effort, and building the solution atop the existing Big Data and ELT environment. The position requires outstanding communication and leadership skills as well as a mastery of SQL and a deep understanding of enterprise data, data modeling, Business Intelligence tools and Information Architecture.
Candidates absolutely must be comfortable working with SQL and the Linux command line on a daily basis. Candidates must be comfortable with using a variety of open source tools and languages to perform exploratory data analysis on raw data sets, build various data transformations in SQL or via ELT and ensure that these efforts comply with a data model that will meet the customer's needs. Additionally, candidates must be capable of understanding limitations in the data and data quality, dealing with data granularity or misalignment issues and communicating these issues and tradeoffs to non-technical business customers to manage customer expectations and ensure delivery of a "best-possible" solution.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
* Works closely with the technical and non-technical members of the business team to understand requirements and translate those requirements into workable technical objectives
* Works with data owners to obtain access to source data, obtain sample data and to perform detailed analysis of source data to build a deep understanding of data quality and how the data can or cannot be used
* Works with otherBig Data Architects / Collaborative Analysts to resolve complex data management issues or issues that affect the entire Big Data ecosystem.
* Works with other members of an agile project team to iteratively and collaboratively deliver a solution that meets the customer's goals
* Builds data models, diagrams, documentation, metadata and other information that communicates the design intent of the proposed solution
* Utilizes SQL, Linux shell scripting, and other tools to examine raw data, build exploratory data models, construct views from widely differing data sources and otherwise produce useful information from the raw data with the proper level of granularity and flexibility to meet customer's needs
* Works iteratively with the customer's BI team to ensure suitability of the solution from a data quality, dimensionality and performance standpoint
* May direct or oversee the daily work of ELT developers, BI developers and junior technical staff.
MUST POSSESS THE FOLLOWING:
* BS or BA degree in a related field OR significant relevant work experience
* 10+ years in information technology
* 5+ years as a Technical Lead responsible for application database design and architecture
* Proficient in data integration design and patterns, logical and physical data architecture and data modeling for enterprise applications, ODSs (Operational Data Stores), transactional data systems, data marts, data warehouses and business intelligence systems
* Proficient in enterprise data modeling standards and tools
* Proficient in full lifecycle development on multiple platforms / solution types
* Experience in creating and implementing data architecture standards for master data management, data quality, data dictionary, meta data and data security
* Experience with large data volumes and large databases and with data of varying degrees of quality and completeness
* Ability to synthesize natural keys and create table JOINS from significantly different, unstructured data sets
* Excellent SQL skills
* Proficient in Linux shell scripting including SED, AWK and use of regular expressions
* Familiarity with very large datasets
* Familiarity with XML, JSON and other structured and unstructured data found in NOSQL databases
* Ability to translate ambiguous business needs into technical requirements and refine those requirements over time to develop a solution acceptable to all stakeholders
* Ability to train customers, technical staff and BI developers on the data, its quality and its use
* Comfortable working in ambiguous and/or stressful situations
* Self-motivated and know when to seek guidance
* Ability to change priorities quickly, and capacity to handle multiple tasks
* Ability to learn new tools and technologies
* Ability to work independently and in a team
* Ability to delegate tasks and review the work of others
* Excellent hands-on technical skills are a MUST
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills are a MUST
ADDITIONAL DESIRABLE SKILLS :
* Proficient in Perl, Python, Java, Scala or other third-generation structured programming languages
* Experience with HDFS, Hadoop, Hive, Impala, Sqoop, Kafka, Hue or Spark
* Experience with Tableau, Alteryx, or R
* Experience with Informatica, IIB, MQFTE, Kafka, TWS, ETL tools, pub/sub messaging platforms, or Spring XD