Big Data Engineer
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/2/2016
END DATE 11/12/2016
The Advisory Board Company
Big Data Engineer
Engineering & ETech
Share | |Email this job
BIG DATA ENGINEER *LI
The Advisory Board Company
THE ROLE IN BRIEF:
The Big Data Engineer will be a critical member of Advisory Board s Enterprise Technologies team and will be involved in software development, support and Administration of large enterprise database systems and infrastructure. This is a hands-on position requiring solid technical, troubleshooting and communications skills.
WHAT YOU\'LL BE DOING:
- Responsible for implementation and administration of Data Platforms such as Hadoop, RDBMS and NoSQL Systems
- Development of data piplelines and load large data sets
- Data modelling, design & implementation based on recognized standards
- Automate manual tasks
- Software installation and configuration
- Performance monitoring and tuning
- Software patches and upgrades
- Database backup and recovery
- Perform upgrades and maintenance troubleshooting
- Capacity Planning and Security Implementation
- Effectively manage multiple, competing priorities
- Propose and deploy new hardware and software environments required
- Be available on call (on rotation) in a support role
- Bachelor s degree
- 4+ Experience in software development, support and Administration of large enterprise database systems and infrastructure
- 2+ Experience in Administration of large data systems (HBase, Casandra, Mongo, Apache Hawq)
- 1+ Working experience in Software development using Java or Python, Perl or Shell Scripts
- Working experience in SQL, Data warehouse, OLAP , Pl/SQL or similar
- Working experience in Data Mart, Data Warehouse, and ETL development and concepts
- Understanding of large-data / big-data driven applications
- Good knowledge of Linux operating systems and administration, understanding of system s capacity, bottlenecks, basics of memory, CPU, OS, storage, and networks
- Perform upgrades and maintenance troubleshooting to virtual infrastructure
- Good verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to be on call (on a rotational basis)
- Experience in performance tuning, capacity planning, security, and storage management of of Hadoop clusters
- Experience in development and administration of Spark, Scala, Hive, Mapreduce jobs, Hbase and systems
- Experience in troubleshooting Core Java Applications
ABOUT THE ADVISORY BOARD COMPANY
The Advisory Board Company is a best practices firm that uses a combination of research, technology, and consulting to improve the performance of 5,500+ health care organizations and educational institutions. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., with offices worldwide, The Advisory Board Company forges and finds the best new ideas and proven practices from its network of thousands of leaders, then customizes and hardwires them into every level of member organizations, creating enduring value. For more information, visit www.advisoryboardcompany.com.
We are a workplace that...
Values and celebrates diversity of experience, culture, and opinion
Is committed to creating an inclusive environment to enhance our collective experience
Promotes a supportive community through staff-led affinity groups, events, and education
OUR CULTURE & VALUES:
We think Forbes said it best: Making the world a better place is what The Advisory Board Company is all about. We have a unique culture where employees are told to avoid after work emails, encouraged to take 10 hours per month of paid leave for community service, and are expected to add surplus value in every interaction with a member or colleague.
Over the past thirty years, we have developed a distinctive corporate culture based on our values and principles. We award, promote, and praise based on individual performance, capabilities, and ambition. We provide ways for staff to share their time, talent, and passions in the community. We reward innovation and foster a collaborative environment. We have a performance-driven staff and peers that challenge one another in the workplace. And we want free-thinkers, agile speakers, witty writers, and team players to join the firm at Advisory Board, your ideas are heard and your contributions matter.
PERKS (A FEW OF MANY):
Consistent with our belief that our employees are our most valuable resource, The Advisory Board Company offers a competitive benefits package.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, dependents eligible
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- 20+ days paid time off and 10+ paid company holidays
- Daytime leave policy for community service or fitness activities (up to 10 hours a month each)
- Wellness programs including gym discounts and incentives to promote healthy living
- Dynamic growth opportunities with merit-based promotion philosophy
- Benefits kick in day one, see the full details here.
LEARN ABOUT US
CONNECT WITH US
Community Impact Twitter
The Advisory Board Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability.