Big Data Engineering Manager
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/24/2016
END DATE 10/25/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONRequisition Number
Big Data Engineering Manager
Big Data Engineering Manager K is a dynamic company on a mission to provide the most compelling, comprehensive, and effective K-12 education available. Our employees are a critical part of an organization that is providing powerful, new options for the way children can be educated. They have a passion for education and a drive to make a difference.
We pride ourselves on maintaining the highest level of integrity. We have the same high expectations for our employees as we do for the students who are in our programs. These are just a few of the values that make K a great place to work.
Engineering Manager, Big Data will be helping to lead K12 s big data and adaptive curriculum initiatives that focus on student academic success in online education. The team leverages the latest data science and machine learning techniques with cutting edge big data and real time technology.
AS A BIG DATA ENGINEERING MANAGER YOU WILL . . .
* Lead and oversee development teams focused on K12 s learning analytics, predictive and recommendation engines, and adaptive curriculum capabilities
* Lead and participate in defining technical solutions, architecture improvements, technical reviews, and code reviews.
* Work cooperatively with development team, Product Management, and Network Operations to ensure a successful, well communicated, high quality release
* Develop, mentor, and coach development teams to build a strong development team, increase team effectiveness, and promote individual team members growth
* Collect operational metrics on the effectiveness of the teams; perform root cause analysis on production defects and recurring quality issues initiating improvement efforts appropriately; Partner with other technology teams on broader improvement initiatives in order to reduce unit cost, reduce cycle time, and reduce the number of defects while increasing business value
* Conduct performance reviews aligned with the corporate policies and timelines; participate in calibration/stack ranking exercises.
* Create software development LOEs for feature requests and assist with forecasting and roadmaps
* Define, improve, and promote software engineering processes and best practices
* Lead and collaborate with other Engineering Managers, Software Architects, and Technical Leads in defining and maintaining platform architecture
* Monitor technology trends for new opportunities and improvements
* Directly supervise 10 - 15 Full-time Equivalent (FTE) regular employees and/or contractors. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
RIGHT FOR YOU*
* Do you communicate well*
* Can you build customer confidence*
* Are you able to tackle problems and take independent action*
* Is your manner honest and straightforward*
* Are you able to prioritize and meet deadlines*
* Do you value others' opinions*
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Systems (or related field of study)
* 10+ years of experience in software development
* 3+ years of experience as software development manager or as a technical lead
* 4+ years of experience developing big data based applications working with technologies including Hadoop, Flink, Hive, Impala, Kafka, NoSQL, Spark, etc
* Any experience working predictive models and data scientists is a plus
* Needs to demonstrate exceptional decision making ability in a dynamic and an aggressive environment
* Has high standards, results oriented, pro-active and a commitment to delivering high quality software on time
* Experience with leading, mentoring, inspiring, and training remote and distributed teams
* Ability to see, understand, and maintain the big picture (i.e. vision) perspective while demonstrating the ability to dive deep and be hands on into a given a software development effort if needed
* Experience with code optimization and performance tuning
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
WHO ARE WE*
* About Us
* K12 Produces Results
* Kudos and Honors
K12 is a Federal Contractor, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
* Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here.
Send This Job to a Friend