Bioinformatics Analyst I - Molecular Biology Core 8/23/2016
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY OVERVIEW
Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians, innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our community; and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
Provides assistance to faculty and research staff in the collection, management, analysis and interpretation of biological data, with a focus on the analysis of data from genomic, transcriptomic, proteomic, or microarray studies.
* Interprets complex biological information. Performs tasks to reduce and consolidate output from software. Prepares data for utilization by other scientists.
* Monitors new data from public databases, finds and loads missed data, cleans loaded data to satisfy quality control criteria.
* Must be able to query various sources for the information needed; i.e., the Web, publications and internal DFCI resources.
* Directs and guides DNA, RNA and protein sequence database searches and the computational analysis of resulting data.
* Implements end-users needs in database searching and integration.
* Maintains the computational infrastructure and controls the flow of samples and information for large-scale studies.
* Recognizes and reports problems with the data management process and fixes the problems whenever possible.
* Bachelors degree required, MS preferred in bioinformatics, computer science and/or the life sciences and 0-2 years relevant experience.
* Familiarity with simple programming using Perl/Python or Java, C/C++, statistical programming using R or related tools, web-development, and database query through SQL.
* Familiarity with principles of experimental design and modern data analysis paradigms is required.
* Strong interpersonal skills and ability to effectively interact with all levels of staff and external contacts.
* Excellent analytical, organizational and time management skills.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.