Business Systems Technician 8/27/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY OVERVIEW: The Business Systems Technician is responsible for sales, installs and maintaining all regulated and non-regulated services and equipment offered by CenturyLink. This position functions as a critical point of contact for customer in team sales program with business services counterpart and provides consultative advice to customers with technical questions relating to their total communication needs.
This position is primarily responsible for Business Systems and may require some Plant Tech duties.
* Install and support phone systems, IP switches, Ethernet and LAN/WAN networks.
* Install and maintain residential/business POTS line, HDSL, t-spans, cable splicing, buried and aerial cable support and maintenance including working aloft.
* Test and repair all systems and services using the proper test equipment.
* Install and maintain data services and all associated equipment.
* Be responsible for all repair and returns of equipment and services maintained.
* Conduct professional training and instruction for customers on their new systems and services.
* Maintain expert technical proficiency on all services and systems in CenturyLink's product line, including successful completion of any required technical certification or training.
* Design system configurations, software, and hardware for customers. Provide this information to team counterpart for pricing and administration.
* Maintain inventory of Key/PBX spare parts, etc. Order equipment; generate material requisitions, repair/return, DESMARS and material received reports as needed.
* Monitor competitive activity in assigned area and relay critical information to management and Region Marketing Department for further action.
* Actively participate and support all marketing activities.
* Conduct effective and courteous communication with customers and other employees.
* Participate in the Sales You Can program.
* Assist the Sales Department with quotes and meeting with customers and sales to procure sale of CenturyLink products and services.
* Assist other technical personnel in the performance of their duties when requested.
* Relate well with customers, employees and other department personnel.
* Observe all safety rules and regulations.
* Perform assigned work independently.
* Assume all other duties as assigned.
* At least six (6) months experience within the last five (5) years diagnosing circuit trouble, and performing routine testing, including measuring AC/DC current using volt ohm meters, TMS, or comparable test equipment.
* At least six (6) months experience within the last five (5) years provisioning and maintaining DSO, DS1/T1, DS3/T3, OCN, DSL and ISDN circuits or services
* Basic electricity knowledge as it relates to telecommunications (through classes or on the job related training) including: reading & interpreting circuit diagrams, equipment drawings, & technical manuals.
* Working knowledge working with provisioning and testing of Ethernet, (Copper, Fiber)
* Working knowledge of hand and power tools.
* Working knowledge of analog, digital test, IP and transmission / sonet equipment, volt-ohm meter, or comparable testing equipment.
* Working knowledge of SONET/ DWDM equipment and services (e.g. DCS and optical muxes).
* Ability to troubleshoot and isolate problems within physical or electrical circuits.
* Ability to respond to callouts within reasonable timeframe.
* Ability to understand MOP and/or CR's and put them together for any type of maintenance work.
* Willing to submit to a Federal background check
* Ability to perform strenuous physical activities including, but not limited to lifting and/or moving up to 100 pounds.
* May requiretravel between Central Office locations.
* Requires a valid state drivers' license with current satisfactory driving record.
* Ability to work in confined spaces (e.g. attics, crawl spaces, utility holes).
* Ability to work aloft (e.g. ladder).
* Ability to provide efficient, quality service to both internal and external customers both face-to-face and over the phone.
* Ability to multi task under pressure in an ever changing environment.
* Successful completion and passage of all applicable employment testing and interview.
* Ability to work varying shifts and hours including possible mandatory overtime, weekends and holidays.
PREFERRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
* At least 12months experience within the last five (5) years diagnosing circuit trouble, and performing routine testing, including measuring AC/DC current using volt ohm meters, TDR, or comparable test equipment.
* At least 12months experience within the last five (5) years provisioning and maintaining DSO, DS1/T1, DS3/T3, DSL and ISDN circuits or services.
* At least 6months experience within the last five (5) years running diagnostic test programs, analyzes defects and/or tests various types of telephone switching equipment (5ESS), DMS 100, 200, and 250, Ericsson (AXE) Hosts and remotes.
* Ability to maintain batteries, associated power equipment and generators.
* Experience working in teams or alone problem solving, diagnosing, and repairing maintenance conditions in Central Office equipment.
* Ability to diagnose circuit trouble, and perform routine testing, including measuring current (and loss), balance, power influence, and noise levels.
* Experience in working on a computer in Windows based systems and Microsoft Outlook.
* Experience working independently with little supervision.
* Experience meeting work deadlines.