JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Looking for a new challenge where your hard work and entrepreneurial spirit will gain you recognition and reward? Then look no further than GAF, a $3 billion company and the largest roofing manufacturer in North America.
At GAF, we've built one of the most dynamic, cutting-edge, and successful employee teams in the building products industry (and we've got the financial results to prove it!). Whether it's in our Parsippany, NJ, world headquarters, or at one of our more than 24 manufacturing plants, our standards are high and the opportunities for career advancement are limited only by your desire to succeed.
If you're turned on by the idea of working for a market-leading company, in a fast-paced environment where you can truly make a difference, then GAF may be the place for you.
We are looking for a Buyer who will be responsible for supporting Plant initiatives with respect to Purchasing and helping to manage daily purchasing activities. The Buyer ensures that purchases are made at the lowest cost and highest quality consistent with the needs of the Plant, and in alignment with company policies and procedures.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Ensure all purchases are made in accordance with company policies and procedures. Establish purchase orders and contracts, as appropriate. Maintain appropriate documentation and files for all purchases made.
* Identify cost saving opportunities using competitive bidding, negotiations, and drive service improvements.
* Work with accounting to resolve any problems that might arise over bulk material delivery discrepancies and/or receiving problems, past dues, and invoice issues. Interact with R&D, Transportation, Manufacturing and Corporate Purchasing to facilitate new source development, qualification and implementation.
* Monitor delivery of materials and services to ensure the production needs of the Plants are met, while certifying that all purchases meet volume requirements and commitments.
* May prepare and execute in conjunction with the Legal Department and Corporate Purchasing, supply agreements which fully protect the company against missed deliveries, shortages and outages, poor material quality, and other performance issues that could affect production.
* Work closely with Plant personnel to locate and develop new sources of supply and offer lower cost alternatives. Participate in teams to gain an understanding of the needs of the Plant.
* Monitor market conditions to keep abreast of potential changes that could affect costs and/or schedules.
* Develop goals and objectives in line with Corporate Purchasing Goals and Objectives. Partner with Corporate Purchasing with the administration of major raw material purchases. Back up and assist with MRO Purchasing and Plant Management.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
Level Based Competencies
* Business strategic working relationships
* Technical knowledge
* Stress tolerance
* Familiar with standard purchasing concepts, practices, and procedures to translate technical data into a format/language suitable for personnel.
* Intermediate proficiency in purchasing software systems, methods, and cost.
* Intermediate negotiation skills
* Demonstrated experience partnering with operations/production to implement mutually agreeable strategies
Bachelors Degree coupled with 2-3 years experience in purchasing field.
A Bachelors Degree in Business Administration coupled with 3 to 5 years experience in the purchasing field. In addition, demonstrated experience working in a customer-focused and multi-functional team environment.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package including 401(k), medical, dental, vision, prescription drug, tuition reimbursement, and a vacation package. At GAF, we believe our employees are our greatest resource.
GAF is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to workplace diversity. M/F/D/V.
No search firms please.