CERTIFIED PHARMACY TECHNICIAN, OR
GENERAL SUMMARY/OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Working under the general direction of the Associate Chief of Inpatient Operations, OR Pharmacy Manager and Lead Technician, the Pharmacy Technician may rotate throughout the various assigned areas. All technicians are responsible for answering phones, attending staff meetings, providing support to the pharmacists, checking expiration dates on medications, entering and retrieving data utilizing the computer system, preparing sterile products, filling automated dispensing machines, and performing tasks consistent with established hospital, department, and area policies and procedures. Technicians must be able to pass both licensure and area specific competences. National Certification required.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Maintain pharmacy inventory by checking pharmaceutical stock to determine inventory level, anticipate needed medications and supplies, place orders using Epic platform, remove outdated drugs.
* Monitor and maintain inventory levels in assigned patient care areas.
Provide support and assistance to OR pharmacy staff, health care providers, and associates, answer and triage incoming phone calls and refer inquiries to the pharmacist, serve as a resource person to patient care staff for all non-clinical pharmacy and drug distribution issues.
Prepare sterile products using proper aseptic technique and in compliance with USP as well as established hospital and department policies.
Maintain USP documentation, including personnel and equipment sampling.
Safely transport and distribute medication throughout the OR and satellite areas, including the handling of controlled substances.
Review daily controlled substance usage reports and detect discrepancies found within, contact involved parties to help resolve discrepancy, file incident reports if resolution is not within allowed timeframe.
Participate in development and implementation of new programs, policies and procedures, help update existing non-clinical policies and procedures.
Assist in training of new hires and co-op students.
* Maintains a safe and clean pharmacy by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
* All other duties as assigned.
Standing, walking, able to lift 25 pounds
Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
* Fluency in English.
* Knowledge of contemporary pharmacy systems.
* Knowledge of relevant federal and state laws and regulations.
* Knowledge of USP and all relevant chapters.
* Excellent comprehension of written policies and procedures.
* Ability to make appropriate decisions, develop and complete follow-up actions.
Familiarity with medical terminology, abbreviations and computer technology
* Professional maturity and the ability to make sound decisions on deadline independent of close supervision.
* Good judgment: must be able to distinguish when the needs of the patients comes first.
* Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
* Ability to work well on a team as well as independently.
* Attention to detail and organizational ability.
* Effective writing skills.
* Good prioritization skills.
* Effective problem solving skills.
* Ability to work under pressure.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, AND/OR REGISTRATIONS:
Current MA Pharmacy Technician license required.
National PTCB Certification required.
High School diploma or GED Equivalency required.
2 years experience in hospital pharmacy experience (4 years other pharmacy experience)
1 year sterile product preparation experience