CNC Machinist I - 3rd Shift (106) 8/11/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY CNC Machinist I - 3rd Shift (106)
Job Summary & Essential Functions: The following describes in general terms the purpose and scope of the position.
Sets up and operates conventional, special purpose, and computer numerical control (CNC) machines and machining centers to fabricate metallic and nonmetallic parts.
* Studies and interprets blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, or sample part to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work piece, sequence of operations, and setup requirements.
* Demonstrates ability to find detail part on the engineering drawing.
* Determines correct blank size from the engineering drawing.
* Measures mylars accurately to determine dimensions for machining steps.
* Interprets all part characteristics from the drawing and determine fabrication steps.
* Measures, marks, and scribes dimensions and references points on material or work piece as guides for subsequent machining.
* Selects, aligns, and secures holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials on machines such as mills, lathes.
* Calculates and sets controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed, coolant flow, and depth and angle of cut, or enters commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control media.
* Starts and observes machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining, and adjusts machine controls or control media as required.
* Demonstrates basic surface grinding skills.
* Demonstrates intermediate turning skills.
* Demonstrates intermediate vertical milling operations (Bridgeport).
* Sets up and runs all jobs that come through the cell without supervision.
* Determines when a cutting tool needs replacement or sharpening.
* Is familiar with cutting speeds for different materials.
* Operates drill press proficiently.
* Operates HAAS CNC VMC without supervision.
* Determines correct cutting fluids for different materials.
* Determines correct SFPM for band sawing speeds.
* Is able to review job and to determine machining sequence and cutting tools.
* Determines correct speeds and feeds for the material being machined.
* Performs end mill and drill sharpening.
* Operates horizontal band saw.
* Demonstrates intermediate turning, drilling, reaming, and tapping skills.
* Performs hand trimming operations as required.
* Is able to layout hand trimming operations as required.
* Is able to setup jobs and proof setup for another operator.
* Verifies conformance of finished work piece to specifications.
* Proficient in the use of precision measuring tools including but not limited to the following: 6 scale, vernier, outside micrometer, height gage, pin gage, telescope gages, dial test indicator, inside micrometers, surface finish comparator, protractor, and Pi tape.
* Sets up and operates machine on trial run to verify accuracy of machine settings or programmed control data.
* Confers with engineers, production personnel, programmers, or others to resolve machining problems.
* Is able to read and edit NC code to address programming issues.
* Understand Principles of Lean Manufacturing.
* Understands, practices and advocates the 6S workplace culture and initiatives.
* Able to initiate a Continuous Improvement To Do List idea.
* Actively and effectively writes Standard Operations Instructions.
* Is able to open CATIA models and interrogate for dimensions.
* Is able to open, navigate, read, create and edit Microsoft Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word files.
* Uses BAAN wedge barcode to scan jobs in and out of setup and run.
* Reviews complete parts status in BAAN.
* Opens, reviews and understand BAAN dispatch list.
* Makes any adjustments necessary to maintain quality parts within control limits for SPC.
* Reads and understands internal procedures and policies.
* Understands and follows through on both verbal and written instructions.
* Team oriented with a continuous improvement and quality outlook.
* Understands basic machine tool / shop safety.
* Uses forklift to safely move pallets and tooling.
* Responsible for the proper handling and management of hazardous waste generated in their work area.
* Must be willing and able to work overtime as necessary.
* Acceptable attendance is an essential function of the position.
* Performs other duties as assigned or required by the position.
Work Environment and Safety Equipment Required: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Safety glasses, safety shoes and other designated personal protective equipment as required for the position.
* Working conditions are: 100% manufacturing environment.
* Regularly required to work near moving mechanical parts.
* Regularly exposed to fumes, wet and/or humid conditions and airborne particles.
* The employee is occasionally exposed to extreme heat and risk of electrical shock.
* Noise level is usually loud.
* Hearing protection is required.
* Safety glasses (ANSI Z87 compliant) required in all manufacturing areas.
* Fully enclosed shoes of solid, leather construction with a steel or composite toe cap (ANSI Z41 compliant), that fit at the ankle or higher, must be worn in all manufacturing areas.
Skills & Qualifications
Required Skills & Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, qualifications, competencies, abilities and any physical demands if required. Physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential requirements of this job.
* Strong mechanical aptitude required.
* Must possess the ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide decimals, percentages, fractions, ratios, proportions; knowledge of basic algebra. Knowledge of geometry and trigonometry is a plus.
* Computer Skills - able to learn new screens, reports, functions, software programs and basic familiarity with BAAN
* Communicates courteously and professionally at all organizational levels
* Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
* Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written oral diagram or schedule form.
* Understands and practices DASNY SOP's, including, but not limited to, F-SOP-180 and F-SOP-150.
* Annual baseline hearing test is required.
* Must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
* Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
* Frequently required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
* Must be able to communicate effectively.
* Occasionally required to sit, stoop, kneel, or crouch.
Required Experience/Education/Training/Certifications:To perform this job successfully, an individual must possess the outlined experience level, education, training, minimum years of experience, product or industry knowledge plus any certifications in order to be considered.
* HS Diploma or GED or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Technical / trade school strongly preferred; or a minimum of 3-5 years related experience.