Central Processing Department (CPD) Tech II Certified 8/16/2016
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY DEPARTMENT DESCRIPTION: As part of an unprecedented organizational initiative, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is now offering up to $1,500 in sign on bonuses for CPD Tech II Certified positions. CPD Technicians must have at least one year of professional experience and carry a valid CRCST certification through IAHCSMM or CBSPD.
Sign On Bonus Amounts:
All CPD Technicians: $1,500 for full time, $750 for part time employees
Bonuses are paid out within the first 30 days of employment and are subject to applicable taxes. Full time status at BIDMC is considered for schedules greater than or equal to 30 hours per week; part time status is 20 to 29 hours per week Please note, per diem employees are not eligible for sign on bonuses.
JOB LOCATION: Boston, MA
REQ ID: 17664BR
JOB SUMMARY: Reporting to the supervisor of the Central Processing Department (CPD), the CPD Technician II is responsible for performing a variety of functions from decontamination, to cleaning, inspection, assembly, and sterilization of various instruments and equipment according to the Manufacturers Instructions for Use (IFU) and or Hospital policy.
* Assembles specialty case carts as pick lists require, sends completed case carts to the OR, and returns unused supplies from the OR to proper inventory. Maintains adequate par levels of products both common stock and special order items in a cost-effective manner, rotate stock.
* Utilizes the communication book/board and shift reports as necessary to keep the staff current with changes, updates, etc. Monitors quality assurance of all items ready for sterilization for correct identifications and packaging to insure proper sterilization. Participates in maintaining a clean, healthy work environment and restocks work area supplies as needed.
* Utilizes Instrument Tracking System and Surgical Services Scheduling System (PIMS) as necessary. Assembles instrumentation for sterilization following the set/count instruction sheet. Set must be inspected for function, defects, cleanliness, and overall condition.
* Responsible for the returning of sterile supplies/instrumentation to the appropriate storage space in sterile/case cart assembly area, rotating as necessary. Assists in other areas of the department. Utilizes the communication book/board and shift reports as necessary to keep the staff current with changes, updates, etc.
* Maintains adequate supply levels of sterile stock that is prepared in CPD for the sterile storage/case cart assembly area. Responsible for the monitoring of all sterilization processes that affect the achievement of sterility the mechanical, chemical, and biological as well as procedures for lot control and traceability.
* High School diploma or GED required. Vocational or Technical training in Central Processing Department preferred.
* Certified Registered Central Sterile Technician (CRCST) or Certification Board for sterile processing and distribution. (CBSPD) Must be maintained for employment.
* 1-3 years related work experience required.
* Must pass the hospital Core Competency Test within 3 months of hire.
* Must be able to function in a fast pace environment.
* Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
* Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
* Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
* Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Very Heavy work: Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 50 pounds of force continually. Employee is physically active in all elements of the job.