Cancer Registrar II 8/19/2016
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY OVERVIEW
Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians, innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our community; and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
Under the direct supervision of the DF/BWH Associate Director, this position is primarily responsible for identifying, registering and abstracting patients with cancer. This includes reviewing and analyzing hospital records and other medical reports for relevant cancer data; determining and classifying demographics, primary site, histology, stage and treatment on all cancer sites and performing annual patient follow-up as needed. Data collection will meet the standards of the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons, the Massachusetts State Cancer Registry, the New Hampshire State Cancer Registry, the DF/BWCC Cancer Registry, Disease Centers, clinicians, researchers and administrators.
* Intermediate to advanced abstractor - abstracts complex cases
* Abstracts all cancer sites
* Complicated follow-up/recurrences/subsequent treatment
* Casefinding as necessary (May collect additional data elements for disease center database)
* CoC Cancer Registry related standards as necessary
* Ad hoc projects as necessary
* High school diploma required
* Bachelor's degree preferred
* Minimum of two years abstracting experience
* Knowledge of medical terminology; anatomy/physiology preferred; data entry/computer experience required
* Certified Tumor Registrar
* College courses in anatomy/physiology or equivalent preferred
* Ability to abstract complex cancer sites
* Ability to analyze multiple medical documents (including hospital records and computerized reports) to classify and code cancer data. Must be able to apply skilled judgment to know when information is missing and how to look for information in another source and how to resolve conflicting information. Must have good attention to detail
* Ability to work with various computer systems including Windows applications and networked systems for data collection and report production
* Prefer experience with Elekta/IMPAC Metriq software
* Knowledge of International Classification of Diseases for Oncology (ICD-O); American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) Staging; Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results (SEER); and the Facility Oncology Registry Data Standards (FORDS) of the CoC is also preferred
* Ability to work well with physicians, clinicians, researchers, administrative staff, and other cancer registrars to collect and report cancer data in the most efficient manner
* Ability to tactfully work with others to maintain quality data (i.e. correct errors)
* Self-motivated and able to work independently
Full-time, 40 hours, Mon-Fri 9:00am to 5:00pm. This position is located at 27 Drydock, South Boston with remoting options.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.