Care Companion CMT-PT-Night
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/8/2016
END DATE 11/2/2016
Lutheran Senior Services
Webster Groves, MO
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Do you know what it means to serve with heart? LSS is seeking a compassionate and devoted Certified Medication Tech to create a warm, welcoming environment for our residents.
What Sets Us Apart
* An emphasis on person-centered care
* Opportunities to work one on one with residents
* A fantastic benefits package that includes tuition reimbursement
What You Will Do
The Care Companion is the residents closest supporter in the household. In addition to resident care, other household responsibilities may include participation in: meal preparation, housekeeping, laundry, and social interaction through planned and unplanned activities. The combination of responsibilities for the role is determined by the level of care, the size and physical layout of the household, and the extent to which meals are prepared.
* Prepare and administer medication to residents under the direction of the nursing staff and within the scope of practice for a CMT and document accordingly. Observe residents for side effects, interactions and implications of common medicines.
* Actively participate in the residents personal care needs and support in a timely manner for the purpose of improving the life of the resident
* Supports the residents involvement in decision making regarding their activities
Who You Need To Be
* Current CMT certification
* Prior experience with direct patient/resident care preferred
* A desire to participate in resident-centered care
Resident care is the primary role of the Care Companion and the scope of the care is determined by the certification required for the role. The Care Companion is the resident s closest supporter in the household. In addition to resident care, other household responsibilities may include participation in: meal preparation, housekeeping, laundry, and social interaction through planned and unplanned activities. The combination of responsibilities for the role is determined by the level of care, the size and physical layout of the household, and the extent to which meals are prepared.
A Care Companion, serving in a household, upholds the philosophy, vision, and core values of the organization and ensures the Christian Mission of Lutheran Senior Services is realized so that Older Adults Live Life to the Fullest .
Scope of Practice
CMT - Practice within the scope of certification and by state and federal regulations and in accordance with the standards as defined in the currently recognized state Certified Medication Technician Training Manual. Practice in accordance with the LSS clinical and administrative policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The combination of activities for the role is determined by the level of care, the size and physical layout of the household and the extent to which meals are prepared. A UNIVERSAL role includes all of the responsibilities. For example, a UNIVERSAL role includes: resident care, meal preparation and delivery, housekeeping, laundry and activities. A VERSATILE role will include resident care and one or more additional responsibility. An example of a VERSATILE role would include resident care and housekeeping. The following is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities, but is a representative summary of the major responsibilities performed.
* Maintain a culture of Person Centered Care
* Demonstrates an attitude of genuine care and concern for each resident with a desire to honor their individual preferences and individuality.
* Provides medical and physical care, in accordance with their scope of practice (CMT), to the residents to meet their daily needs.
* Passes medication within scope of practice and meeting the preferences of the resident.
* Handles the resident s personal care needs and support in a timely manner. Helps the resident keep their dignity by letting them do as much for themselves as possible.
* Observes the residents closely and identifies changing needs and conditions. Reports information to the nursing staff.
* Actively participates in the resident s care/service plan for the purpose of improving the life of the resident.
* Creates and maintains meaningful relationships with residents and families.
* Supports the resident s involvement in decision making regarding their daily activities.
* Assists with therapies and treatments under the direction of licensed
MEAL PREPARATION, DELIVERY AND MEALTIMES
* Helps plans weekly menus with residents working with Dining Services. Prepares and serves meals with the assistance of Dining Services staff as needed.
* Follows safety and health regulations, guidelines and standards in the preparation and storage of food. Keeps cooking equipment and surfaces clean and sanitary.
* Assists with taking inventory of, storing and ordering household grocery supplies.
* Participates in cooking activities that meets the interests of residents and involves residents when appropriate in a safe manner.
* Engages residents in conversation while partaking in household meals during work time to provide enjoyment for the residents and build meaningful relationships.
* Maintains clean and sanitary spaces in the household including residences and common spaces.
* Helps take care of the household environment including pets, plants and outdoor spaces.
* Complies with all regulatory sanitation requirements.
* Takes precautions to prevent transmission of disease through contamination.
* Assists the resident who wants to do all or some part of their laundry.
* Works with the team to provide planned activities and seeks opportunities throughout the day to provide spontaneous activities that meet the interests of the residents and the household.
* Asks residents and family members about the resident s preferences for types of activities and experiences and makes those types of activities available.
* Participates in celebrations and traditions with resident and family members.
* Participates in and may lead daily learning circles with residents and staff to determine daily desires and preferences.
* Helps new residents and families make adjustments to household living.
OTHER HOUSEHOLD RESPONSIBILITIES
* Participates in self scheduling.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
* Current CMT certification in the state of practice
* A desire to be part of the Person Centered Care team
* Prior experience with direct care preferable
* Basic computer skills
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical activities, demands and working conditions described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job duties and responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk to hear. The employee frequently is required to sit; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and taste or smell.
* Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
* Must be able to push/pull 45 lbs.
A well-lighted and ventilated working area that has its own temperature control system (air conditioning and heat). Is subject to emotionally upset residents, or family members. Is willing to work beyond normal working hours and on weekends and holidays when necessary. Is subject to exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and toxic or caustic chemicals. Is subject to exposure to infectious waste, diseases, conditions, etc., including exposure to the AIDS and Hepatitis B virus within guidelines of standard precautions. Appropriate ergonomic and personal safety equipment is