Certified Medical Assistant -60312
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/30/2016
END DATE 5/16/2017
West Virginia University Hospital
JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB DESCRIPTION
Certified Medical Assistant (60312)
WVU Heart Institute Clinic
Education and Experience:
* High school diploma or equivalent required (cannot be waived)
* Graduate of a Medical Assistant Program (cannot be waived)
* Registration or Certification preferred
* One-year experience as a Medical Assistant or patient care preferred.
* Obtain certification in Basic Life Support within 30 days of hire date.
Assists the nursing staff and physicians by maintaining an efficient operation with the goal of delivering optimal patient care.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1.0 Assists nursing staff and physicians by performing various duties related to patient care.
* Does simple data collection and tabulation for statistical purposes.
* Coordinates pre and post-visit patient flow.
* Receives patient phone calls, documents information and reports to physicians. Calls patients with instructions from physician.
* Accurately files all patient chart preparation paperwork including X-rays, EKGs, lab results, etc.
* Completes accurate logging and filing systems to track all patient records and prevent loss.
* Obtains lab and test results for physicians
* Utilizes Merlin system for obtaining transcribed results.
* Schedules as needed in Merlin
* Obtains radiology results from Radiant.
* Obtains and documents patient data such as age, height, weight, blood pressure, temperature, pulse, pulse oximetry and documents according to policy. Reports abnormal findings to RN.
* May perform adult phlebotomy as needed.
* Obtains patient specimens as indicated.
Administers injections and medications prescribed by physicians
* Contacts outside facilities and ancillary departments for recent patient testing results.
* Faxes release of information consent to appropriate facility.
* Delivers the faxed test results to the physician for review.
* Verifies completion of charts and phone calls for patients scheduled the next day.
* Applies specialized step-by-step knowledge of entire procedures to assist as a member of the medical team or to personally conduct procedures.
* Takes corrective actions independently or as a team member.
2.0 Assists with procedures performed by a physician
* Performs unit responsibilities to include: maintaining procedure records
* Documents radiology tests ordered.
* Explains post-procedure and post-visit instructions to patients and significant others accompanying the patient. Observes patients for adverse effects and reports to RN prior to transfer or departure from the unit.
* Responsible for coordination, maintenance, and ordering supplies, instruments and equipment.
3.0 Maintains a safe, clean, sanitary environment.
* Cleans patient areas before and after use.
* Monitors use and working condition of equipment.
* Follows infection control guidelines to ensure unit safety and prevention of cross-contamination.
* Assists with processing of instruments between cases (was and sterilize by heat or high-level disinfection).
* Assists with preparation of various cleaning and lubricating solutions used in decontamination of instruments, equipment and rooms.
4.0 Other duties/projects as assigned.
PERFORMANCE STANDARD: Adheres to the established Performance Expectations for WVUH Employees in the areas of People, Service, Performance Improvement, Shared Values & Culture.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Required to position or lift patients. Must have ability to lift up to 40 pounds. May need to transport a patient on a stretcher or wheelchair. Position requires standing for prolonged periods of time.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Work is performed in both a clinical and/or office environment. Position is frequently exposed to blood and body fluids and various chemicals associated with equipment disinfection/sterilization.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Position requires contact with patients, nursing staff, physicians and other ancillary personnel both within and outside of the working area. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required.
* Ability to respond quickly to varying demands from the staff and patients. Will do data collection and tabulate statistical reports.