Chief Estimator 8/18/2016
Privately Held Industrial Construction Company
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY The Company
Our client is dedicated to building a world class Industrial construction company focused on serving clients in the southeastern United States. Our Client's objective is to be recognized as the specialty mechanical contractor of choice to leading firms in the power, petroleum refining, chemical processing, metals and paper markets.
Our Client performs specialty services such as turnaround and shutdown services, scaffolding, insulation and certified code welding. The Company also provides boiler maintenance and repair, mechanical maintenance and new construction and capital project execution. They also offer fabrication services with ASME S and U Stamp certified staff. Our Client is a subsidiary of a privately held, family business which is almost 100 years old.
This position is responsible for the acquisition of new contracts and clients, and the generation of planned revenue and overhead contributions.
The Chief Estimator will "own" the proposal development process from start to finish and will have broad influence leading-up to the initiation of work in the field. This role will be directly accountable for winning profitable projects for The Company.
Within the heavy industrial process/power markets, specific emphasis will be placed on piping, mechanical equipment, plate work, and structural. The successful candidate will drive for results and operational excellence at all levels; foster a work environment that supports safety leadership, teamwork, and continuous improvement in all elements of the business.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
* Supervise estimating team, managing work performance of estimators and project engineers; coach and develop estimating team.
* Track status and develop a proposal from the Request for Proposal to the Proposal Submittal.
* Conduct boiler pressure part, structural steel, ductwork, piping, and plate work self-perform estimating.
* Create estimates with emphasis on installation of equipment in the heavy industrial markets.
* Evaluate labor productivities and installation schemes.
* Develop critical path schedules.
* Lead the procurement of subcontractors and materials.
* Review contractor programs for compliance with contract documents.
* Perform constructability reviews, analyze budgets and project costs.
* Provide expertise and experience to problem solving, operational and marketing challenges.
* Must be familiar with take-offs and pricing multi-trade, self-performed work; must have experience in lump sum, competitive bid environments. Emphasis on mechanical work is a plus.
* Must be knowledgeable with multi-craft labor productivity and have relationships with subcontractors in the heavy industrial market in the southeast.
* Bachelor's degree in construction, engineering or other relevant discipline preferred or equivalent experience.
* At least 15 years work experience in the industrial construction market involving proposal development or project execution in a merit shop based environment; at least 10 years of successful work experience in estimating for heavy industrial markets; at least 5 years of experience in a lead estimating role.
* Familiarity with working in heavy industrial capital and outage projects.
* Understand and abide by industry safety and quality standards. Committed to advancing a culture of safety within the organization.
* Well-developed proposal presentation skills.