This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/10/2016
END DATE 12/7/2016
Balfour Beatty Construction Inc
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Description
Balfour Beatty Construction is seeking a qualified Chief Estimator to join our team in Irvine, California. If you have a passion for what you do, a strong drive to achieve results, the ability to solve problems creatively, and a dedication to client service and relationship management, come join us.
**MUST HAVE EXPERIENCE IN THE LOS ANGELES/ORANGE COUNTY REGION, WITH INTIMATE KNOWLEDGE OF THE LOCAL MARKETS AND SUBCONTRACTOR BASE IN BOTH THE PRIVATE AND PUBLIC MARKET SECTORS**
The Chief Estimator the primary member of the estimating team who has overall responsibility for creation of all budgets, estimates and guaranteed maximum prices produced by Preconstruction Services Department for construction projects to be built for clients under the CM at Risk, CM Multiple Prime, GC, Design-Build, Lease-Leaseback and Hard Bid delivery methods. Final word on estimating techniques and personnel decisions for assigned projects. Oversees department standards for estimates such as bid packages, deliverable formats and budget tracking tools. Oversees historical cost database and oversees and maintains bid management and estimating systems and software. Manages and coordinates the people, and other resources used to perform the estimating functions of the preconstruction process.
* Assigns and coordinates scope of work with estimating staff for each project.
* Reviews project plans, specifications, estimating scopes and pricing prepared by estimating staff.
* Prepares budget and general conditions estimates for entire project prior to bid date and reviews budgets and general conditions prepared by other estimators.
* Ensures the flow of project information is maintained and documented.
* Reviews all bid forms prepared for submission.
* Coordinates insurance requirements with Risk Manager.
* Coordinates technical proposal requirements with Marketing Department.
* Reviews schedule and constructability issues with project operations staff.
* Takes the lead in ensuring all data placed in the historical database is accurate.
* Maintains and communicates data on construction and material cost trends affecting project costs.
* Participates in Value Management workshops.
* Creates and/or reviews Budget Tracker options and pricing for accuracy and completeness.
* Maintains and updates the estimating software.
* Produces new and modifies existing construction systems, wizards, assemblies, and models as necessary. Updates Unit Price Catalog and Company Standards as required.
* Supports the evaluation, tests and implementation of software upgrades.
* Proficient in all computer software programs used in preconstruction with particular emphasis on estimating software (e.g. Beck Estimator/Trimble WinEST/Timberline, On-Screen Takeoff (OST),BuildingConnected and Bluebeam).
Promote Customer Relations
* Builds effective relationships with customers, design team, subcontractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and support company core values and meets or exceeds the customer s expectations.
* Actively participates in industry, client, and community relations to enhance company image.
Culture, Leadership and Employee Development
* Promotes our Creed. Communicate our vision and purpose through Service, Talent and Choices.
* Serves as a role model and promotes professional behavior.
* Participates in talent management activities, such as coaching and mentoring others.
* Participates in and supports Estimating training programs, and commits to the development of department staff and of self.
* Prepares performance and salary reviews for employees and related follow up.
PERFORMS OTHER RELATED DUTIES AS NEEDED.
* B.S. in Construction Management, Engineering, or related field preferred and 12+ years of preconstruction estimating experience on commercial construction projects. Depending upon the project size, scope, and complexity the years of experience may vary. Demonstrated ability to oversee multiple projects at a time.
* MUST HAVE EXPERIENCE IN THE LOS ANGELES AND ORANGE COUNTY REGION, WITH INTIMATE KNOWLEDGE OF THE LOCAL MARKETS AND SUBCONTRACTOR BASE IN BOTH THE PRIVATE AND PUBLIC MARKET SECTORS.
* Possess solid knowledge of civil/site construction, foundation and structural systems, exterior building wall systems, interior finish construction systems , and mechanical and electrical systems, and associated costs.
* Possess excellent organizational and managerial skills, and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Demonstrated functional and technical knowledge and skills while striving to develop new skills and knowledge quickly.
* Able to create and manage related assignments and schedules based on key priorities of assigned projects while adjusting for roadblocks and evaluating results.
* Able to motivate many kinds of direct reports, provide challenging assignments, act fairly and manage people fairly.
* Able to manage from a distance and achieve work through others without being there; able to identify and simplify complex processes.
* Energetic and dedicated, not afraid to act with a minimum of planning; and can handle stress with composure.
* Strong computer skills including the ability to use estimating software, word processing, spread sheets, bid management, online plan rooms and database applications and company communication tools, such as email, internet, and Microsoft products (e.g., Word, Excel, Office, Outlook).
The majority of the work is completed in an office setting at the Division s Irvine office with some travel to the Division s main office in San Diego, CA. Periodic meetings at off-site locations may occur.
This position will report to the Vice President of Preconstruction and will collaborate with the San Diego office Chief Estimator for the overall management of the Southern California preconstruction operations.
Balfour Beatty is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, gender, pregnancy or breastfeeding, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, disability, or other status protected by state or federal law.
#LI-POST Apply Now