Chief Health Informatics Officer - Veterans Health Administration
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/5/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
Veterans Health Administration
JOB DESCRIPTIONCHIEF HEALTH INFORMATICS OFFICER
VETERANS HEALTH ADMINISTRATION
Are you a health informatics executive driven to lead Does the idea of leading informatics strategies for the largest integrated healthcare delivery system in the country interest you Do your strengths include leadership, planning, systems design and implementation If so, you should consider applying for Veterans Health Administration Chief Health Informatics Officer (CHIO). As CHIO, you will lead groundbreaking work to improve healthcare for our Nation's veterans and will serve as the principal health informatics executive at the Department ofVeterans Affairs Central Office, Washington, DC. This new position will be integral to all VHA programs that provide patient-centered health care to Veterans.
As CHIO, you will promote the development and implementation of VHA patient-centered information technology and information management (IT/IM) solutions and support VHA-DoD interoperability and community health information exchange initiatives. You will also promote emerging technologies, and advance codified terminologies and national standards. You will be a leader in such programs as VistA Evolution, the Veteran Health Information Exchange Program, and Informatics Patient Safety.
Using your business acumen and ability to lead change, lead people, drive results, and build coalitions, you will provide clinical informatics leadership and will represent and advancing VA and VHA interests. You will serve as VHA's primary clinical informatics liaison to senior federal officials in the Administration and Congress as well as external health informatics organizations.
The CHIO develops and implements clinical informatics strategies that directly affect the quality and usability of VHA information systems nationwide -- within the VA health care system and the external health care environment. The CHIO devises strategies and plans for the productive use of emerging informatics concepts. The CHIO also provides consulting and strategic advice at the request of industry leaders regarding VHA informatics experience and knowledge, and how to advance the President's Management Agenda for the advancement of health information technology.
Specific functions of the CHIO include the following.
* Provide executive management and strategic direction for health informatics, including serving as the primary interface with executive management and external stakeholders, and securing funding for program initiatives.
* Use specialized knowledge and expertise to represent VA and VHA interests and activities to internal and external organizations involved in development of electronic health record and interoperability standards, and community-based collaborative partnerships for health information exchange.
* Develop and implement clinical informatics strategies that directly affect the quality and usability of VA and VHA health data and health information systems nationwide. Devise strategies and plans for implementation of emerging standards for electronic health records and interoperability.
* Manage the development, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of multiple programs. This includes setting long- and short-range goals, acquiring and allocating resources, developing policies and procedures, developing an approach and methods for evaluating program success and monitoring execution.
* Manage complex issues and oversee programs to identify trends in clinical practice, delivery models/environments, and their interrelation with electronic health records, bar code technology, emerging health technologies, health information exchange, and health information standards programs internal and external to VHA. Devise methods and tools to monitor, on an ongoing basis, trends in clinical practice and health informatics. Determine knowledge acquisition and management requirements and provide subject matter expertise in the design and application of automated methods and tools to enhance clinical practice, Veterans' use of health technology and health data exchange.
* Provide leadership and management in the design and delivery of information to improve clinical care, individual and public health, and biomedical research. Use an analytical clinical informatics framework, such as systems theory, to apply design principles for evaluation of information systems created to facilitate delivery of care. Evaluate success and outcomes of programs under purview.
* Use clinical expertise and current knowledge of clinical aspects of health care delivery to evaluate the clinical significance and quality of information that is processed (captured, transmitted, and stored) by advanced technology systems. Evaluate outcomes of electronic health record utilization and health information exchange that impact changes in nursing/medical/clinical practice for various patient groups/populations. Apply research methods to ensure efficient and effective assessment including sample selection, instrument development, study design, data analysis, and recommendations for corrective action.
* Create opportunities to share knowledge/expertise nationally within VA and VHA and externally with other government agencies and health delivery communities; and ensure that education and training programs are designed and developed to facilitate meeting those needs across all disciplines. Share expert knowledge, especially in the area of clinical informatics, with colleagues through consultation and open communication. Exemplify effective communication in all areas of practice. Consistently, clearly and positively communicate mission and vision of VA and VHA within and outside of VA/VHA; presents policies, procedures, and decisions persuasively in public. Demonstrate skill in writing and communicating complex materials.
* Function as a consultant to VA, VHA, and the Federal sector health care community regarding informatics issues. Facilitate local VHA participation in national informatics issues, and provide advice and consultation in the establishment of local community-based collaborative partnerships.
Fully licensed physician or nurse informatics executive or, an individual with a Masters degree or higher in a healthcare-related field or healthcare administration relevant to this role.
* Nurse applicants must have a Masters degree or higher in a healthcare-related field or healthcare administration relevant to this role.
Degree, Certification, Fellowship or other formal training/academic courses in health informatics preferred.
Leadership experience in health care.
Ability to understand and bridgeinformation technology and health care disciplines.
Ability to recognize the different functions and motivations of various employees and groups in the health care delivery systems and communicate effectively with each.
Superior oral and written communication skills to present information to influence and implement strategies and deliverables as well as assimilate relevant information related to the Health Informatics functions.
Comprehensive, expert, and practical knowledge of health care informatics and health care IT.
Professional knowledge of theoretical foundations of computer science; specialized knowledge of design characteristics, limitations, and potential applications of information systems; and knowledge of relevant mathematical and statistical sciences.
Ability to participate and consult in the planning, development, implementation, evaluation, and orchestration of information management solutions and advancement of emerging information technologies to improve patient care and the health care delivery process.
If this role is something you'd like to explore further and if being part of groundbreaking work that leads to improved healthcare for our nation's veterans inspires you, this may be your opportunity to achieve professional and personal satisfaction, while