Chief Nurse Executive
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/6/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
JOB DESCRIPTION_POSITION SUMMARY_:
* Participates in the capital planning process, including evaluating potential capital investments from clinical, technological, financial, and operational perspectives.
* Participates in the hospital and community groups that plan and develop health programs, which meet the needs of the organization, and the communities they serve.
* Ensures timely and appropriate response to customers' concerns and/or operational problems.
* Successfully interacts with Information Management as a user representative, as a contributor to the IM strategic planning and operational prioritization, and as a key contributor to the capital prioritization process for the mid- and long-range IM strategic plan. Oversees the direction for nursing clinical documentation and collaborates with IM personnel in improvement and upgrade initiatives. Collaborates with medical staff, nursing, IM and support departments ensuring interdisciplinary approach to the medical record.
C) RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
* Works in partnership with other hospital executives to develop, implement, and evaluate hospital policies and programs related to the allocation and need for financial, human, material, and informational resources and effectively manages those resources.
* Articulates nursing contributions to the financial viability of the hospital necessary for effective patient care.
* Establishes and maintains financial plans for patient care and nursing that integrate the facility's/region's goals and mission.
* Sets priorities for resource allocation and monitors the utilization of resources while ensuring patient safety and adequate resource allocationrequired for patient care. Ensures structures and delegation are appropriate for licensure/registration, education, and experience.
* Participates in the assessment of management's informational needs and the development of related policies.
* Develops innovative programs to source, recruit, develop, and retain clinical staff to address the continually decreasing supply of qualified workers. Collaborates with other departments and the region as appropriate to implement effective marketing, recruitment, and retention programs.
* Leads the efforts for service excellence for patients, and works collaboratively to promote service to the medical staff. Leads recruitment and retention for nursing and promotes excellence in associate work environment for all associates.
* Evaluates measures of associate satisfaction every 12months and involves the associates in the development of plans to achieve a safe/healthful workplace environment and associate satisfaction. Includes the direct care RNs and their identified needs in the plans' development.
* Develops and actively mentors associates including successors for leadership positions throughout the organization. Includes nurses from a variety of roles in decision-making bodies of the organization.
* Oversees the credentialing and privileging of all nurses, including advanced practice nurses.
* Facilitates the participation of nurses at all levels in professional nursing organizations and activities at the local, state, national, and/or international levels.
* Projects, develops, monitors and adjusts the operating budget for areas of responsibility using data-driven decision-making. Provides input into region-wide budget planning.
* Maintains a cost-per-unit of service or operates cost center(s) at or less than budget.
* Reviews and approves monthly departmental variance analysis for cost centers on which to base adjustments.
* Establishes an action plan with Directors and/or Managers for any variance from acceptable standards in the management of costs.
* Establishes and maintains an on-going development program to support authoritative understanding by nursing management of financial management, to include specific operating factors, utilization factors, and product line contribution.
E) LEADERSHIP/QUALITY IMPROVEMENT
* Fosters a decentralized participative management style for nursing based on a shared governance approach. Innovative leadership is encouraged at the department level promoting nurses' decision-making control over nurse practice. The leadership facilitates, solicits, and values associate feedback. Nursing leader is visible, accessible, and communicates regularly and effectively with staff.
* Participates as an influential member of and representative of all nurses at the facility's governing body, management, medical staff, and clinical leadership in decision-making structures and processes and strategic planning.
* Recognized by leadership, associates, and the community as the authority to speak on behalf of nursing and all nurses in the facility. Communicates the role of nursing and related issues to the public as required.
* Serves as an executive actively participating in defined and established meetings of hospital leaders and with other clinical and managerial leaders.
* Develops and implements a performance improvement plan that continuously assesses and improves the performance of nursing and patient care providers/departments.
* Leads the facility's efforts in establishing quality measures for nursing to be used for continuous organizational performance improvement, in alignment with the region's measures. Quality measures include those outlined by the American Nurses' Credentialing Center/National Database for Nursing Quality Indicators and the Oxford Database for NICU, as well as being monitored via the facilities Nursing Dashboard.
* Participates with leaders from the governing body, management, medical staff, nursing, and clinical areas in planning, promoting and conducting organization-wide performance improvement activities.
* Coordinates and integrates services within nursing and patient care departments as well as with other departments as needed.
* Ensures compliance with JCAHO standards, licensure agencies, and other regulatory requirements.
* Documents evidence of leadership/participation relating to nursing and patient care departmental, interdepartmental, or organizational improvements. Provides annually a report of nursing accomplishments and assures the nursing accomplishments, advances, contributions, and innovations are known to the executives.
* Maintains an authoritative understanding of the medical staff bylaws, and is a key contributor to the medical staff committees as a representative of the hospital's Administration.
* Acquires and maintains current knowledge in administrative practice, evidence-based healthcare, finance, technological advances, and other skills and uses the acquired knowledge, skills, and abilities to improve healthcare services and the environment in which services are delivered. Networks with peers in the state/region to share ideas and conduct mutual problem solving. Participates in professional organizations.
* Establishes a plan annually, based on self and 360 evaluations, professional practice standards, relevant statutes and regulations, and organizational criteria, to increase individual strength and effectiveness as a leader, professional, and nurse.