Chief Nursing Officer
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/26/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
Executive HealthSearch, Inc.
JOB DESCRIPTIONThe purpose of this position is to provide strategic and operational leadership for Nursing and Respiratory Care Services, including Nursing Education, Centralized Staffing and Respiratory Therapy departments. The position will plan, organize and direct the daily operations of these departments in accordance with regulatory guidelines and standards of Nursing and Respiratory Practices as defined by the Nurse and Respiratory Practice Act and the Mission. This position will establish a structure for Nursing and Respiratory Services that will promote the philosophy that resident care is Family Centered, ensuring that care for the pediatric resident supports the family and includes them in all aspects of the child's care. As a member of the Senior Management Team, the position will collaborate in the establishment and implementation of a transdisciplinary vision that promotes and maintains best practice and a Culture Change Environment. The position will participate in the planning and implementation of the Annual Business Plan.
* Utilizes the principles of the nursing process, professional standards of care, the nurse and respiratory practice act and the regulations of accrediting agencies to guide and direct the activities of the nursing and respiratory departments.
* Develops and monitors a budget for staffing and supplies equipment.
* Acts as a catalyst for change by listening to the staff to identify areas that require additional support or modification.
* Direct the collection of data from multiple sources needed to evaluate the practice of Nursing and Respiratory and develop strategies to use the data to improve practice and assure standards of care are met.
* Establish a system to assure staff is counseled and correct disciplinary strategies are developed and implemented when seeking changes in performance and practice, including adherence to Mission and standards of nursing and respiratory care.
* Recruit and train nursing personnel, this includes screening potential resumes and conducting interview for nursing/respiratory staff positions at all levels.
* Accurately assess the strengths and developmental needs of staff. Gives specific feedback and coaching and counseling as needed. Supports and guides the Managers/ANM in performing same in the Neighborhoods.
* Conducts regular, purposeful rounds and all areas within the departments to provide the opportunity for observation of the unit operations and for interaction with staff and residents.
* Works in conjunction with the Continuity of Care department to assure admissions, and transfers are accomplished in an appropriate and timely manner and referrals are reviewed for appropriateness.
* Develops new programs for the delivery of resident care services as determined by strategic plan. Plans for staffing and develops a budget for new program initiatives.
* Develops and monitors clinical practices that reflect the highest standards of infection control prevention and practice and Infection Control Guidelines.
* Ensure all environmental standards are met. Enforces compliance to environmental standards, and participates in Environmental Rounds.
* Establishes a budget for the Nursing/Respiratory Department and Education Department and monitors the budget to assure operations are within budgetary requirement and care is delivered in a cost effective manner while maintaining adherence to standards of best practice.
* Assures adequate and appropriate supplies and equipment are available for resident care needs. Evaluates and recommends new products.
* Maintain a roster of staff for each floor and measure actual staffing standards against budgeted standards to assure positions are filled in a timely and organized manner.
* Establish clinical affiliations with nursing schools for the purpose of training and community support and involvement.
* Establish a system to assure staff is counseled, and that correct disciplinary strategies are developed and implemented when seeking changes in performance and practice including adherence to mission and standards of nursing care.
* Works in close collaboration with the JAC to ensure continuity of care from neighborhood to school, and promotes the cooperation and teamwork of neighborhood clinical staff to work in the provision of care as needed in the JAC.
* Attends state committees as required and other planning meetings as needed
* Conducts investigation as deemed appropriate in accordance with nursing practice standards and state Department of Health requirements for abuse and neglect reporting.
* Maintains an ongoing effective communication with the bargaining unit representing nursing staff.
* Seeks to provide solutions to issues that arise that are consistent with standards of care and a meet bargaining unit requirements.
* Recommends and facilitates changes in facility operations, as identified.
* Serves as chairperson or member of committees as designated: Senior Team, Infection Control, QA/Talent Management, Pharmacy, Operations, Safety, EMR Steering Committee, Ethics, Board Level QI-Talent, Ventilator Task Force, Product Evaluation (Co-Chair).
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
* Licensed and currently registered as a professional nurse in New York.
* Graduate of an accredited RN program
* BCLS and/or PALS certification
* Master's Degree in Nursing or health related field with theoretical background in nursing practice and administration required.
* A minimum of five years of pediatric nursing practice with graduated experience in management.
* Must have 3-5 years proven successful leadership experience as a Director or Chief Nursing Officer in a pediatric healthcare facility.
* Competence in nursing practice as well as in coordination and direction of nursing care services.
* Commitment to continuing professional development.
* The ability to plan and deliver oral and written communications that make an impact and persuade their intended audiences.
* Demonstrated ability to impart labor/management skills to nursing managers.
* Demonstrated ability to design and analyze systems.