This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/16/2016
END DATE 11/16/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAnnouncement: ODOT16-0065ocTraffic Unit Manager - Principal Executive/Manager EHighway - Region 1 Technical CenterPortland
The Oregon Department of Transportation Region 1 is seeking a Traffic Unit manager. The person in this position provides leadership for the ODOT Region 1 Traffic Unit to ensure quality and timely traffic engineering services in the region consisting of Washington, Multnomah (including the City of Portland), Clackamas, and Hood River counties. The Region 1 Traffic Unit consists of approximately 25 employees, including interns for annual Safety Priority Index System (SPIS) data collection and documentation, with expertise in traffic devices and traffic design, traffic management and operations including signal timing and intelligent transportation system/advanced traffic management systems, and traffic analysis, traffic safety, investigations and road safety audits. This manager also performs consultant contract procurement and administration to augment staff resources as needed. The Traffic Unit provides technical traffic engineering expertise to managers and staff in the planning, maintenance, construction, and local agency federal aid program units. The Traffic Unit manager is responsible for programming the Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) safety and operations projects in Region 1. The traffic engineering management functions also include managing media and legislative interest, tort claims, Ask ODOT program requests for information, and interagency coordination relating to traffic engineering and safety on ODOT systems in partnership with Region cities, counties and other government and quasi-government agencies.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
Additional Details:The successful candidate will become part of the State's management team.This recruitment will remain open until filled. This recruitment may close at any time without advance notice at the discretion of the agency after a sufficient number of qualified candidates have applied. Screening will begin as early as October 7, 2016. We cannot guarantee that we will review applications received after this date.
* Direct and manage the function of 25 Region 1 Traffic Unit staff..
* Serve on Region 1 management teams.
* Develop short and long-range plans for the Region based on identified needs including priorities for transportation safety, operations, Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) and Connected and Autonomous Vehicle systems (CAV)
* Act as an expert witness in court cases affecting Region traffic operations.
* Answer inquires relating to traffic design and operations.
* Determine and prioritize safety and traffic operations projects, including ITS and CAV for the Region STIP.
* Work with district maintenance managers, planners and developers on traffic engineering, access management, and signal, signing, lighting and striping maintenance issues.
* Provide traffic operation recommendations, support, direction and guidance to agency managers.
* Participate on Regional and Statewide leadership teams.
* Work with district managers, developers, local governments, and planners on new developments and the effects on the State highway system and local street networks.
* Manage the Region Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP), All Road Transportation Safety Program and operations program budgets.
* Answer inquiries regarding laws, regulations, policies and procedures as they apply to traffic design, implementation, safety and operations.
* Direct the annual SPIS review of high crash locations within the region.
* Assist and approve solutions to address SPIS locations.
* Direct the continuous review of traffic operations in the Region; ensure that solutions are developed and proposals are properly processed.
* Develop ways to document and improve processes and productivity.
* Create and nurture diverse and effective work teams.
* Hire and train new employees and assign and review work, complete performance appraisals, training plans and work improvement plans.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: Minimum Qualifications:Three years of management experience in a public or private organization which included responsibility for each of the following:a) development of program rules and policiesb) development of long- and short-range goals and plansc) program evaluation andd) budget preparationORTwo years of management experience in a public or private organization which included responsibility for each of the following:a) development of program rules and policiesb) development of long- and short-range goals and plansc) program evaluation andd) budget preparation;AND 45-48 quarter hours (30-32 semester hours) of graduate level coursework in management.ORThree years of professional experience as a program/project leader,a) assigning and reviewing work of professional staff (e.g., engineers, etc.)b) project responsibility for developing goals and objectivesc) project evaluation and d) monitoring and controlling or preparing a budget. Special Qualifications:This position required licensure as a professional engineer (PE). Candidates must have a valid PE to be considered. A successful candidate with an out of state PE license will be required to obtain comity within six months of hire. Note: Applicants who do not have a PE license will not be considered. Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver's license and an acceptable driving record are required. We will conduct pre-employment driving record checks on our final candidate(s).Preferred Experience:We may show preference to candidates with experience in traffic engineering and/or experience supervising traffic engineers.
Additional InformationWe genuinely appreciate your interest in this position and are eager to review your application materials. To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter as described below and answer our supplemental questions. Note that we have disabled several sections of the electronic application.
* Resume: In your resume, you must clearly describe how you meet the qualifications for this position as listed above and include a list of verifiable employers and dates of employment.
* Cover Letter: We require a cover letter that specifically and clearly demonstrates your experience related to the position.
Caution: If you fail to follow these instructions, including failing to attach a cover letter as described above, we will have to disqualify your application. We cannot consider incomplete applications.Working Conditions:* This position is on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week, including holidays.
* Regular travel within the Region and at least monthly Statewide travel.
* Exposure to traffic.
* Occasional night meetings that sometimes require overnight lodging.
* Exposure to emotionally intense interactions with members of the public.
Pre-employment Checks:We will conduct criminal background checks on final candidates including current ODOT employees. All applicants are subject to additional pre-employment check(s) such as driver license, LEDS, and/or education verification as required for the position. Veteran's Points:Eligible veterans who meet the qualifications will be given veterans' preference. To receive preference, veterans must attach appropriate documentation as outlined by the Department of Administrative Services at the following website: Veterans Resources. Veterans may also call the Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs at 1-800-692-9666. Questions and Tips:* For questions about the job announcement, call