Claims Specialist - Directors and Officers Professional Liability
This job is no longer active. View similar jobs
CNA is one of the premier providers of professional liability insurance. We are currently seeking a claim professional who can be located in our downtown Chicago office. The qualified candidate will have two plus years of experience working in a firm or for an insurance carrier handling claims related to professional liability claims. The individual in this position will primarily handle various types of claims arising out of our Management Liability and Financial Institutions businesses, including directors and officers liability, fiduciary liability and professional liability. These claims can be highly complex in nature and can be valued in the multi-million dollar range. Insurance litigation and coverage interpretation/analysis experience strongly desired.
We seek an individual who has attended mediations and who has been involved in negotiating settlements involving insurance claims. The average caseload for this claim professional will be approximately 180 files.
CNA offers excellent work/life balance opportunities and a strong benefits package for individuals who are considering leaving the law firm environment.
Under technical direction, investigates and maintains professional liability claims. Works within specific limits of authority on assignments requiring significant technical complexity and coordination. Utilizing claims policies and guidelines, reviews coverages, determines liability and compensability, secures information, and negotiates and settles claims.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Interprets more complex or unusual policy coverages and determines if coverages apply to claims submitted, escalating issues as needed.
2. Prepares timely and thorough coverage analysis and may occasionally assign counsel on an insureds behalf.
3. Recommends appropriate reserves and attempts to effectively settle claims in most cost effective manner and ensuring timely issuance of disbursements.
4. Coordinates and performs investigations and evaluates claims and exposure through contact with insureds, brokers, other insurance carriers and defense counsel.
4. Utilizes negotiation skills to develop complex settlement packages or suggest resolution strategies.
5. Works with defense counsel, underwriters, brokers, and insureds regarding the handling and/or disposition of complex claims.
6. Analyzes claims activities and prepares reports for management. May be responsible for special projects and presentations.
7. Keeps current on state/territory regulations and issues as well as industry activity and trends.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES:
1. Solid knowledge of claims and insurance industry theory and practices.
2. Demonstrated technical expertise and product specific knowledge.
3. Strong interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills. Must have the ability to effectively interact with all levels of CNA's internal and external business partners.
4. Ability to work independently.
5. Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
6. Ability to exercise independent judgment and make critical business decisions effectively.
7. Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite as well as other business-related software.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
1. Juris Doctorate strongly preferred. Professional designations preferred.
2. Typically a minimum two to five years claims experience in professional liability or 2 plus years in a law firm handling professional liability claims. D&O experience preferred.
Primary Location: United States-Illinois-Chicago
Other Locations: United States-Illinois-Chicago
Organization: CLAIM USSPL Pro C (Pro Custom)
Job Posting: Aug 17, 2016
Unposting Date: Ongoing.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.