Claims Specialist - Lawyers Professional Liability
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/8/2016
END DATE 11/9/2016
New York, NY
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
Under technical direction, investigates and maintains Lawyers Professional Liability claims. Works within specific limits of authority on assignments requiring significant technical complexity and coordination. Utilizing claims policies and guidelines, reviews coverages, determines liability and compensability, secures information, and negotiates and settles claims.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Interprets more complex or unusual policy coverages and determines if coverages apply to claims submitted, escalating issues as needed.
2. Sets reserves and authorizes payment within scope of authority, effectively settling claims in most cost effective manner and ensuring timely issuance of disbursements.
3. Coordinates and performs investigations and evaluates claims and suits through contact with insureds, claimants, witnesses and experts. Identifies files that have potential fraud and refers to SIU.
4. Utilizes negotiation skills to develop complex settlement packages.
5. Identifies claims with third party recovery potential and coordinates with subrogation/salvage unit.
6. Works with attorneys, account representatives, agents, internal large claim unit, managers, underwriters and insureds regarding the handling and/or disposition of more complex claims.
7. Analyzes claims activities and prepares reports for management. May be responsible for special projects and presentations.
8. May update the claims systems.
9. May provide guidance and assistance to other claims staff and functional areas.
10. Keeps current on state/territory regulations and issues as well as industry activity and trends.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES
1. Solid knowledge of claims and insurance industry theory and practices.
2. Demonstrated technical expertise and product specific knowledge.
3. Strong interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills. Ability to effectively interact with all levels of CNA's internal and external business partners.
4. Ability to work independently.
5. Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
6. Ability to exercise independent judgment and make critical business decisions effectively.
7. Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite as well as other business-related software.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. Professional designations preferred. Attorney license a plus.
2. Minimum three to five years claims experience preferably in Lawyers Professional Liability.
Primary Location: United States-Illinois-Chicago
Other Locations: United States-Illinois-Chicago
Organization: CLAIM USSPL-PSvcs
Job Posting: Sep 7, 2016
Unposting Date: Ongoing.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.