Clinical & Informatics Educator 8/14/2016
San Mateo, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Promotes professional development through the application of principles of adult learning in broad-based program development. Leveraging expertise in Client's electronic medical record,Client HealthConnect (CHC), responsible for identifying, prioritizing, and evaluating, the educational and professional development needs of a clinical area;develops and delivers clinical educational programs, including specialty training, new graduate/hire training, continuing education for staff,and training for upgrades and changes to CHC. Coordinates nursing competence and professional development programs for Patient Care Srv Area for an assigned/defined clinical area. Conducts ongoing assessments of proficiencies for PCS staff and management and provide feedback and formal action plans management. Serves as the CHC expert and applies this knowledge into clinical and operational workflows.
* Clinical Educator:Provides educational opportunities that benefit nurses at all stages of their career development. Assists learners in the assessment of needs and identification of outcomes. Incorporates principles of adult learning in implementation of education programs. Identifies and evaluates high quality, culturally diverse instructional materials in all types of media and formats. Adjusts content and teaching strategies to meet learner needs. Provides ongoing assessment of individual performance in clinical and CHC proficiencies for PCS staff and Mgmt and reports to Dir of Clinical Education, Practice,and Informatics. Identifies individuals who do not meet established competency expectations and recommends a formal action plan to PCS Mgmt.
* Program and Curriculum Development/Evaluation: Develops, designs, evaluates, and manages professional development programs based on principles of adult learning that foster the development of competence in the nursing staff. Conducts ongoing evaluation of the quality and effectiveness of educational activities to ensure they maintain and enhance professional development and promote the delivery of cost-effective high quality healthcare. Develops/coordinates education plans related to orientation of new staff to the organization, initial and ongoing competency validation, core education to address patient population specific nursing care,and core education for the development of beside leaders.
* Clinical practice standards:Responds to changes in nursing practice/nursing theory and develops programs to support those changes. Conducts research into professional and community practice standards, technology, clinical informatics, and clinical innovations for improved patient care.
* Clinical informatics expert:Ensures that CHC is leveraged for the benefit of nursing practice and improved excellence in patient care systems and processes. Assesses opportunities to support clinical practices through the use of CHC by analyzing clinical workflow to determine current practices and facilitating the improvement of specific nursing practices and processes.
* Partnerships/Leadership Duties:Participates in interdisciplinary committees to integrate educational activities into clinical care and clinical informatics/appropriate use of CHC into educational activities and clinical care. Addresses CHC and workflow issues through Regional Domains, local Domains and Cross Functional Domain. Provides leadership for clinical IT enhancements.
* Oversight:Provides investigation, recommendation, prioritization and evaluation of clinical risk, and correction plans for arising concerns and issues as a result of CHC and clinical edu. Monitors, tracks, and follows up on such concerns/issues. Escalates any patient safety issues identified w/workflow disruptions.
* This job description is not all encompassing.
* Minimum five (5) years of experience coordinating or managing education program/curriculum design, development and evaluation/assessment, including two (2) years in staff professional development and/or clinical training/teaching.
* BSN or bachelor's degree in health care or related field required, OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field.
* Graduate of accredited school of nursing.
* High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
* Current California RN license required.
* BLS certificate required.
* Knowledge of Nurse Practice Act, federal, state, and local requirements.
* Demonstrated knowledge in Client HealthConnect including functionality and expertise in workflows (or for external hires, similarly integrated medical record).
* Demonstrated knowledge of medical center policy and procedure requirements, specialty training and competency requirements.
* Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
* Master's degree in nursing, education, or other closely related field preferred.
* Demonstrated knowledge in performance improvement practices preferred