Clinical Lab Scientist - Clinical Laboratories-Microbiology (CLIN LAB SCI) 9/2/2016
University of California - San Francisco Medical Centers
San Francisco, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Title
Clinical Lab Scientist - Clinical Laboratories-Microbiology (CLIN LAB SCI)
40 ; 100%
This classification is represented by a union
Our legacy of unsurpassed patient care and unceasing mission to integrate high-tech medical research with clinical operations has led to our prestigious standing as one of the top 10 hospitals in the nation according to U.S. News & World Report. As a premier health care institution dedicated to advancing health worldwide, UCSF Medical Center can also be the best place to advance and shape your career.
The medical center's employees are one of the most important reasons why we are recognized as one of the nation's best hospitals. To work at UCSF Medical Center is to be part of an institution that provides the highest caliber of care to patients; a nurturing, dynamic and team-oriented atmosphere in which to best use your skills and talents.
At UCSF Medical Center, our Clinical Laboratory supports the inpatient population of our tertiary care hospitals, an Emergency Department and outpatient clinics.
The Microbiology Lab includes the subspeciality sections of bacteriology, parasitology, virology, mycobacteriology, and mycology, and provides a complete menu of testing for infectious disease agents.
We provide a stimulating and fast paced environment for Clinical Laboratory Scientists, with in house education opportunities.
Performs test procedures in Microbiology. Transcribes and reports test results (manually and automated). Operates laboratory instrumentation & equipment to accurately generate test results. Initiates troubleshooting of errant laboratory instrumentation & equipment as needed. Follows established quality control procedures and participates in all associated tasks in the section. Must be able to work in a high volume setting.
The flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF Medical Center locations is required.
* Recent experience performing clinical lab testing
* California Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) license, or California Clinical Microbiologist Scientist license
* The flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF Medical Center locations is required
* Recent experience in a high-volume laboratory doing clinical laboratory testing in Microbiology
* Experience with current automation used in a clinical laboratory
* California Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) license, or
* California Clinical Microbiologist Scientist license
Living Pride Standards
* Demonstrates service excellence by following the Everyday PRIDE Guide with the UCSF Medical Center standards and expectations for communication and behavior. These standards and expectations convey specific behavior associated with the Medical Center s values: Professionalism, Respect, Integrity, Diversity and Excellence, and provide guidance on how we communicate with patients, visitors, faculty, staff, and students, virtually everyone, every day and with every encounter. These standards include, but are not limited to: personal appearance, acknowledging and greeting all patients and families, introductions using AIDET, managing up, service recovery, managing delays and expectations, phone standards, electronic communication, team work, cultural sensitivity and competency.
* Uses effective communication skills with patients and staff; demonstrates proper telephone techniques and etiquette; acts as an escort to any patient or family member needing directions; shows sensitivity to differences of culture; demonstrates a positive and supportive manner in which patients / families/ colleagues perceive interactions as positive and supportive. Exhibits team work skills to positively acknowledge and recognize other colleagues, and uses personal experiences to model and teach Living PRIDE standards.
* Exhibits tact and professionalism in difficult situations according to PRIDE Values and Practices
* Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to privacy, confidentiality, and security policies and procedures related to Protected Health Information (PHI) or other sensitive and personal information.
* Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to safety and infection control policies and procedures.
* Assumes accountability for improving quality metrics associated with department/unit and meeting organizational/departmental targets.
* Keeps working areas neat, orderly and clutter-free, including the hallways. Adheres to cleaning processes and puts things back where they belong. Removes and reports broken equipment and furniture.
* Picks up and disposes of any litter found throughout entire facility.
* Posts flyers and posters in designated areas only; does not post on walls, doors or windows.
* Knows where the Environment of Care Manual is kept in department; corrects or reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate departments.
* Protects the physical environment and equipment from damage and theft.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Further information about the University of California, San Francisco, is available at diversity.ucsf.edu. UCSF seeks candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence, and the communities we serve.
Return to Previous Page