Clinical Laboratory Asst II 8/25/2016
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL SUMMARY / OVERVIEW STATEMENT
Reports directly to the Laboratory Supervisor of the Center for Integrated Diagnostics. This position will primarily involve organizing molecular test requisitions, obtaining slides and blocks from outside institutions, and close communication with the Cancer Center contact.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Triages requisition forms submitted to the lab via the provider order entry system, fax or mail
* Requests specimens needed for testing from outside institutions or MGH Pathology
* Ensure that patient consent, pathology reports and all other paperwork is present and obtains additional clinical information, when necessary
* Inputs all incoming requests into the CID database for tracking throughout the lab
* Contacts outside hospitals to request materials, keeps a detailed record of each conversation and follows up with outside hospital regularly until materials have been received
* Triages problem cases that are submitted to the lab. Documents exactly what is missing, contacts outside hospital, provider or patient, keeps a detailed record of each conversation and follows up with outside hospital, provider, or patient regularly until case is resolved
* Coordinates alternate requests from outside hospitals
* As cases are put in order, review face sheet, requisition, supplement and slides for consistency, accuracy and completeness
* Uses strong interpersonal skills and customer service skills to assist and interact with pathologists, requesting clinicians, residents, technologists, office staff, etc.
* Uses judgment and discretion to organize priorities, complete tasks and handle confidential patient information
* Requests materials for research projects on an as needed basis
* Other duties as assigned
* High school diploma required
* Some college preferred
* Two years of previous laboratory, healthcare or customer service experience required
Skills / Abilities / Competencies required:
* Good interpersonal and communication skills so as to be able to interact effectively with individuals in the lab and the hospital at all levels.
* Excellent problem solving skills.
* Ability to multitask and work accurately under stress of time constraints and heavy workload demands.
* Neat and orderly work habits.
* Acute attention to detail.
* Manual dexterity and visual accuracy.
* Accurate computer skills.
* Ability to read, write and speak English sufficiently to communicate with patients and laboratory and clinical staff.
* Demonstrates excellent dependability, reliability, accuracy, prioritization ability, problem solving skills, customer service and teamwork.
* Potential to work across laboratory specialties.
* Proficient in using a computer to retrieve information from LIS database.
* Ability to maintain strict patient confidentiality at all times.
* Appropriate level of professionalism.
* Office setting within a laboratory area. Handles potentially biohazardous body fluid samples (including blood) from patients.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.