Clinical Manager Pharmacy Services 9/13/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Summary
The Clinical Manager is responsible for coordinating clinical pharmacy service teams and ensuring that the pharmacy provides optimal clinical services. The clinical manager leads and coordinates the development, implementation, and maintenance of programs and services that promote desirable patient outcomes through the use of safe, cost-effective drug therapies. He/She also assists the Director in providing and assuring quality pharmaceutical care in accordance with accepted ethical and professional practices and all legal and regulatory requirements. The Manager shall help plan, organize, direct, control, monitor, and evaluate clinical pharmacy services. The clinical manager will serve as the secretary of clinical pharmacy related committees as appropriate. The clinical manager may serve as a program director for a HMH pharmacy residency program. He/she will be active in the instruction of direct reports, pharmacy residents and students, and the medical and nursing staffs. He/she will be an active member of the HMH research institute and contributes regularly to the medical and pharmacy literature.
System and department specific ICARE values
* INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
* COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
* ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
* RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
* EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
* Communicates effectively with patients, physicians, visitors, and other employees in a courteous, friendly, and helpful manner.
* Maintains an environment that assures all customers and all individuals are treated with dignity and respect.
* Effectively manages human resource needs for the department (hiring, orienting, training, coaching, disciplining, retaining, performance expectations, etc).
* Demonstrates the ability to foster teamwork and take responsibility to ensure the delivery of high quality care and service to both patients and staff.
* Communicates effectively and clearly, verbally and in writing.
* Serves as a mentor for clinical specialist pharmacists direct reports helping to advance their professional practice at HM by assisting with project development, implementation, evaluation and where applicable publication.
* Operates within defined budget parameters.
* Demonstrates a return on investment of 1:1 for direct reports
* Complies with rules and regulations of all federal, state and local agencies, including but not limited to TSBP, FDA, DNV, Texas Department of State Health Services, and the DEA.
* Consistently follows the law and HM ethical standards.
* Reports behavior that appears to be inconsistent with HM high ethical standards and the law.
* Works cooperatively with appropriate others to address questionable behaviors.
* Work yields results that are beneficial to departmental operations and meets departmental and hospital objectives.
* Identify opportunities in processes to guarantee the delivery of high quality care and service to both patients and staff.
* Represents the department of pharmacy at various levels within the organization through participation in relevant internal committees and forums.
* Assists the Director in the development and implementation of annual Department goals and objectives with emphasis on the provision of clinical pharmacy services and pharmacoeconomic directives.
* Represents pharmacy interests on other HM Quality / safety committees as appropriate to the scope of clinical pharmacy services (e.g. CMPIs, P&T structure, Medication Safety and electronic medical record (EMR) committees.)
* Represents HM interests at system P&T committee meetings.
* Coordinates evidence based medicine reviews of EMR system from the pharmacy perspective.
* Administers, develops, interprets and complies with departmental and system policies and procedures.
* Demonstrates proficiency in critical thinking, conflict management, and problem solving.
* Identifies opportunities for business development in the area of clinical pharmacy services and acts upon these opportunities.
* Participate in developing strategic priorities for the department.
* Contributes to professional literature.
* Maintains active involvement in professional organizations to stay abreast of current trends and to contribute to the growth of the pharmacy profession.
* Participates in the Education and Research programs of the hospital, including preceptorship with accredited residencies and undergraduate pharmacy programs.
* Provides administrative on-call support.
* Performs other job related duties as assigned.
* Must have a Bachelor of Science degree or Doctor of Pharmacy degree or equivalent.
* Prefer advanced degree (MS, MBA, etc)
* Must complete a post graduate year one (PGY1) and PGY2 residency training program or must have demonstrated equivalent professional experience.
* Must have 2-3 years of experience practicing in a clinical pharmacist level position with hospital pharmacy administrative experience.
* Must be experienced in clinical, administrative, educational, and research activities in contemporary hospital pharmacy practice.
* Must have previous teaching experience within a college of pharmacy.
* Should have a record of publications in the pharmacy and medical literature.
* Should have a record of recognition within the pharmacy profession (Fellow status, acknowledgements, awards, etc)
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
* Must be licensed or eligible for licensure to practice pharmacy in the State of Texas.
* Must maintain continuing education credits to maintain professional licensure.
* Maintain a Board of Pharmacy Specialists (BPS) certification (Pharmacotherapy, nutrition support, oncology, etc)
* Must maintain a current Texas pharmacist preceptor license.
* Must obtain and maintain CPR, and HMHRI certification
(Note - If applicable State Licensure, ACLS, BLS, or PALS must be obtained within 90 days of employment)
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
* Must posses the ability to establish a clinical pharmacy practice within one s area of specialty (IM, Cardiology, Crit Care, Oncology, Drug Information, nutrition, etc)
* Must operate at the expert level with regards to one s understanding of the principles of rational drug therapy (application of evidence based guidelines etc)
* Must have skills in supervising and training peers, clinical specialist level pharmacists, residents, students, and supportive personnel.
* Must demonstrate excellent time / project management skills and demonstrate ability to coordinate efforts of direct reports, peers and other pharmacy, nursing, administrative and medical staffs.
* Must demonstrate knowledge and ability to apply pharmacoeconomic principles to the provision of clinical pharmacy services and understand the cost justification of clinical pharmacy services.
* Must demonstrate knowledge and ability to apply continuous quality improvement (CQI) principles to the provision of clinical pharmacy services. (i.e. PDSA, Six-Sigma, Lean, FMEA, etc)
* Must demonstrate professional and technical competence in the critical selection, evaluation, and utilization of the pharmaceutical, medical, and scientific literature.
* Should demonstrate basic background knowledge of biostatistical techniques and research methodology in drug evaluation techniques.
* Must demonstrate regular contributions to the pharmaceutical literature
* Must demonstrate contributions to