Coder II-PRN 8/27/2016
UT Southwestern Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Full/Part Time/PRN: PRN
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
An Associate Degree in Health Information Management and/or closely related field is preferred; Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), or certification as an Outpatient Hospital/Facility coder (CPC-H) is highly recommended, including two years (2) hospital coding experience. Knowledge of Prospective Payment Systems (inpatient, rehab, psych, outpatient), Epic electronic health record systems and 3M coding software is beneficial in this role.An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Performs accurate and timely review, coding, and abstracting of UTSW accounts utilizing ICD-9-CM, ICD-10-CM, and CPT-4 code sets as indicated and according to coding team procedures.
- Performs coding activities in a manner that meets productivity and quality standards as established by the coding leadership..
- Maintains current understanding of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, disease processes, and coding guidelines and grows knowledge through participation in continuing education programs.
- Maintains current understanding of the variation inherent in outpatients cared for at UTSW (recurring care, multiple services, as examples) so coding coverage can be appropriately provided and enhances coding skills to expand scope of coding practice.
- May mentor the work of designated coding employees to ensure quality of work as Coding Specialists I grow in their knowledge and expertise.
- Assists in upholding coding team expectations, customer service standards, professionalism, operating procedures, processes, and other team strategies and goals.- Assist in promoting a culture of support, continuous learning, and team work.- Adheres to all UTSW and departmental policies and procedures to include the Remote Coding Agreement where applicable.
**Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
To the extent provided by applicable law, no person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any program or activity sponsored or conducted by The University of Texas System or any of its component institutions, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, or disability..