Coder III 9/2/2016
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for the assignment of ICD-9-CM diagnosis and procedure codes and as appropriate, CPT-4.
* Reviews the complete electronic and paper medical record of discharged patients. Assigns ICD-9-CM diagnosis and procedure codes from documentation in the medical record, when indicated assigns CPT-4 procedure codes
* Abstracts coded data and patient information into the coding abstracting system in use by BIDMC (information includes attending physician, surgeon, dates of surgery, disposition, discharge date, and infant birth weight etc.). Uses the AHA 'Coding Clinic for ICD-9-CM' for official coding guidelines set forth by the ICD-9-CM Coordination and Maintenance Committee.
* Sequences the assigned codes using the 3M DRG Finder System, exercising all principles of assigning ICD-9-CM codes to determine the appropriate DRG. Prioritizes daily work to ensure timely submission to the billing system.
* Participates in training programs including educational sessions for updates to ICD-9-CM, Coding Clinic Guidelines and learning ICD-10-CM/PCS.
* Follows Policy & Procedure to identify and facilitate prompt resolution of documentation, abstracting and/or other account problems
* High School diploma or GED required, High School diploma or GED preferred
* 3-5 years related work experience required in coding..
* Audit work OR Ability to code inpatient and/or outpatient
* Proven competency in coding by testing (training period 90 days). Combination of productivity, quality and/or versatility
* Knowledge of anatomy, physiology, medical terminology, disease processes, pharmacology and the ICD-9-CM, CPT-4 coding systems.
* Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
* Certification with AHIMA or AAPC
* Basic internet research skills
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
Here are just some of the advantages of working for Health Information Management (HIM) department of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
Our department offers flexible hours, the ability to work from home or onsite, and the panache of working for a world class medical institution with an interesting and challenging case mix. Our department offers diverse professional opportunities by interacting and supporting clinical area operations, supporting ongoing training and development of our coding staff, and by our commitment to a work/life approach to business.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth in the linked poster:http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf