College Coordinator -88611
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/10/2016
END DATE 11/9/2016
West Virginia University Hospital
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Description
College Coordinator (88611-Exempt/88612-Non-Exempt)
* Bachelor of Science in Nursing is required. (May not be waived.)
* Two years experience in area of practice.
* Current licensure to practice professional nursing in
West Virginia (may not be waived).
* Preferred Certification in area of Specialty
Coordinates the design, planning, evaluation and integration of clinical education and
professional development activities so as to maintain consistent standards of practice and competencies in the delivery of patient care.
Supports unit leadership team by demonstrating effective leadership, communication and conflict resolution skills.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
* Attend appropriate meetings: hold weekly meetings with surgeons to discuss cases from previous week and next week
* Conducts initial morning rounds and periodic rounds throughout the day along with communication with operating room control desk and surgeons.
* Relationship development with office teams which include; block release, specialty items ordering, operational efficiency, and education.
* Participate in interview with nursing and new surgeon candidates.
* Expedite first case on-time starts
* Achieving operating room turnover time target less established guidelines for designated college
* Update surgeon preference cards: with electronic medical record support specialist
* Partners with sterile processing for instrumentation needs and issues
* Review of the operating room schedule one week in advance for specific case needs-includes potential training, equipment, implants and additional specialty items
* Assure that vendors are following Reptrak protocol
* Performs appropriate supply ordering by adjusting par and inventory as needed; alongside Inventory Control Analysts
* Expired product management
* Operating and capital budget input-preparation of quotes for capital with Operating Business Manager, Nurse Director and VP of Operations
* Value analysis with the Director of Value Analysis and Procurement
* Cost containment analysis for potential cost saving efforts for items utilized in the service
* Management of designated surgical packs
2.0 FACILITATES THE NURSING UNIT S EDUCATION PLAN FOR NURSING ORIENTATION, STAFF DEVELOPMENT, CONTINUING EDUCATION, COMPETENCY VALIDATION, PATIENT EDUCATION AND ACADEMIC EXPERIENCES.
* Defines and coordinates orientation needs for all new unit employees. Individualizes orientation, with preceptor, evaluates orientees progress, and provides ongoing constructive feedback to both orientee, their preceptor and manager.
* Assists departmental or unit teams in the development of annual competency analysis system requirements and criteria to assure knowledge, skills and attitudes that are necessary to fulfill role expectations in the institution.
* Integrates patient education activities into staff development and continuing education programs.
* Consistently provides opportunities for interaction with employees to discuss professional growth, personal concerns, and educational goals.
* Assesses and identifies staffs ability for assuming more responsibility, encourages personal/professional growth and unit participation.
* Facilitates development of strong leadership behavior in unit staff including: a) orientation of charge nurse on unit; b) development of unit preceptors c) delegation skills, and d) effective interpersonal communication skills.
* Assesses staff educational needs, develops plan, implements and evaluates the effectiveness of the plan, in conjunction with performance management process.
* Provide constructive and timely feedback on employee performance and management.
* Collaborates with unit manager in developing unit standards policy, procedures, protocols, documentation, forms, and clinical pathways.
* Supports and encourages the operating room vision statement
* Maintain clinical expertise
* SCIP Indicators
3.0 SUPPORTS AN ENVIRONMENT FOR INNOVATION, CREATIVITY AND EMPOWERMENT WITH PATIENT CARE DELIVERY BASED ON CURRENT NURSING LITERATURE AND RESEARCH.
* Promotes an environment supportive to critiquing, using and participating in evidenced based research and practice changes.
* Uses current professional nursing, educational and outcomes research in practice and staff development and continuing education activities.
* Initiates and/or participates in studies and research activities related to staff development, patient and health care.
* Serves as a change agent in effecting appropriate changes within the health care delivery system as it relates to evidence based practice.
* Contributes to professional and scholarly nursing and educational activities.
4.0 DEMONSTRATES REGARD FOR THE DIGNITY, RESPECT AND SAFETY OF ALL PATIENTS, SIGNIFICANT OTHERS, VISITORS AND HOSPITAL PERSONNEL AS DEFINED IN THE PHILOSOPHY OF THE ORGANIZATION.
* Displays a caring and courteous attitude and represents the hospital in a positive manner to all persons noted above.
* Maintains the confidentiality of patient and department information without infraction.
* Promotes direct caregivers as valuable assets to the hospital.
* Promotes and contributes positively to intradepartmental and interdepartmental relationships.
* Serves as a liaison by establishing and maintaining open lines of communications with nursing, between other hospital departments, the consumer and the community.
* Adheres and Promotes the Hospital and Department Dress Codes, Safety Policies and Procedures.
5.0 PARTICIPATES IN MEETING THE GOALS AND OBJECTIVES OF NURSING SERVICE DIVISION AND ENSURES THE DEPARTMENT CONTRIBUTES TO THE ATTAINMENT OF THE HOSPITAL S GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
* Contributes positively to the teamwork of the department by assisting other staff, contributing ideas and helping to resolve problems.
* Serves as role model and promotes within the staff effective communication and conflict resolution skills, reflecting quality service attitudes and keeping consumer satisfaction in mind.
* Demonstrates expert team building skills, problem solving abilities, and conflict resolution strategies as they provide leadership not limited to their nursing area.
* Exhibits strength to participate in, direct and maintain quality patient care in a high stress environment.
6.0 Participates in Performance Improvement activities as appropriate-Quality of work life
* Leadership/relationship development/conflict management, CPI training
* Educator training/cross training-tracking