Computing Services Specialist I
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/8/2016
END DATE 10/11/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Description
Fermilab's Scientific Distributed Computing Solutions department seeks a computing services specialist I to work with a team of developers, computing services specialists, and scientists to contribute to user support, monitoring and troubleshooting of off-line physics workflows that are executed on High Energy Physics (HEP) Cloud Facility. The HEP Cloud Facility, that is currently under development, will provide a portal to an ecosystem of computing resources, commercial and academic. The resources include local clusters, commercial and private clouds as well as High-performance computing facilities.
The candidate will be able to effectively troubleshoot and diagnose reported issues from the user communities, that comprise of Neutrino and Muon experiments, CMS (Compact Muon Solenoid), and Dark Matter and Energy experiments. The duties include, but is not limited to, contributing to the efforts to ensure that HEP Cloud and LPC (Large Hadron Collider Physics Center) operations run smoothly, analyzing monitoring and incident information and proposing mitigations, validating and deployment of new software releases, and documenting procedures and configurations. The successful candidate will develop scripts to automate routine services administration activities. The position requires participation in a support rotation that involves some weekend support activities.
Respect, understand and value individual differences that embody the principles of diversity.
Abide by all environmental, safety and health regulations.
Qualifications and Essential Job Functions
* Bachelor-level scientific degree in physics, computer science, or related field with 2-6 years of experience.
* Proficiency in Python and Bash scripting languages to develop new applications/ scripts and help support existing products .
* Excellent analytical skills with regard to distributed computing systems.
* Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment of scientists and computing professionals.
* Demonstrated ability to write clear and concise technical documentation with corresponding excellent oral communication skills.
* Ability to work independently under general direction, demonstrating sound judgment and attention to duties and detail.
* Experience with supporting applications and users in the Linux (UNIX) operating system.
* Experience with one or more large batch system deployments (HTCondor, PBS/ Torque, Grid Engine) is a plus
* Experience with CMS computing tools and services (Crab3, PhEDEx) is advantageous
* Experience with software development and integration on UNIX/Linux platforms, desirable
Physical Activity and Work Conditions
Human Factors: Mental Concentration, Repetitive Motion, Sitting and Visually Demanding.
There is no legal requirement that Fermilab sponsor an employee for U.S. permanent residence. As a result, Fermilab will make the decision to sponsor an employee on a case-by-case basis. Fermilab will consider the following factors, among others, when determining whether to sponsor an employee for U.S. permanent residence: performance, length of service, long-term need for the position, and cost.
Diverse People, Diverse Jobs
"Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Women/ Disabled/Veterans are encouraged to apply"