Conflict of Interest Specialist
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/14/2016
END DATE 10/13/2016
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY JOB SUMMARY: The Conflict of Interest Specialist performs functions related to BIDMC programs, processes and policies with a particular focus on conflict of interests, gifts, and policy development related to relationships between the Medical Center, its faculty, its workforce, and outside industries. The primary focus of this position is applying policies and regulations to analyze conflicts of interest issues relating to governance, institutional transactions, clinical services and research.
* Communicate conflict of interest policies and procedures to institutional leaders, faculty, employees, physicians, and other affected individuals through the development of web-based educational materials, educational workshops, newsletters, memos, and other appropriate means.
* Support the institution's annual conflict of interest disclosure process, including collection of disclosures from hospital leadership and medical staff. Monitor compliance rates and ensure compliance with disclosure procedures.
* Track regulatory and professional standard developments in conflict of interest and related areas, including clinician-industry financial arrangements.
* Coordinate and act as staff at meetings of the BIDMC's Conflicts of Interest Committee, maintain records and minutes as well as support presentations to the Conflicts of Interest Committee, including stakeholder consultation, drafting memoranda and presenting situations to the Committee.
* Support investigation of alleged violations of institutional policies concerning business, research and clinical conflicts of interest, gifts, vendor activities, and Harvard policies for faculty outside activities.
* Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree preferred.
* 1-3 years related work experience required.
* Knowledge and/or experience in healthcare compliance, preferably in a research-intensive university or hospital setting.
* Strong analytical skills, ability to collect information from diverse sources, interpret and apply regulations, policy and legal principles.
* Ability to work on matters of high sensitivity and confidentiality with diplomacy and discretion.
* Advanced technical computer skills as required for technical support specific to functional area and related systems.
* 2 years' experience in a research-intensive university or academic medical center preferred.
* Juris Doctorate desirable
* Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
* Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
* Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
The Office of Compliance and Business Conduct oversees the Compliance Program. The Office works with employees, department and division administrators, physician leaders and committees to promote ethical behavior, integrity in our interactions, and compliance with regulatory requirements and our own internal policies and procedures.
The mission of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is to serve our patients compassionately and effectively and to create a healthy future for them and their families. Our mission is supported by our commitment to provide personalized, excellent care for our patients and a workforce committed to individual accountability, mutual respect and collaboration.
Key functions of the Office of Compliance and Business Conduct include fostering a culture of integrity, and supporting an environment where individuals ask questions and report real or potential compliance-related concerns. Other functions include compliance education, as well as auditing and monitoring of compliance with applicable laws, regulations and BIDMC policies.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth in the linked poster:http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf