This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/16/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
New York, NY
JOB DESCRIPTIONCONFLICTS ATTORNEY
The Conflicts Attorney is responsible for identifying and analyzing potential conflicts of interest arising from the generation of new business and the employment of new and lateral attorneys. The Conflicts Attorney evaluate potential conflicts, identify appropriate steps for resolution, assist partners in obtaining necessary waivers, and complete new business and lateral attorney clearance documentation. The Conflicts Attorney will work directly with partners, the firm's general counsel, members of the firm's ethics committee, and the Associate Director, Conflicts and New Matter In-Take.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND/OR ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
* Evaluate potential conflicts of interest and identify appropriate steps for resolution.
* Analyze complex ethical issues arising in the firm's practice.
* Assist in the completion of conflict reports and documentation.
* Assist attorneys in reviewing and interpreting conflicts reports.
* Assist in obtaining engagement letters and conflict waivers, establishing information barriers, and developing procedures for the acceptance of new clients and matters.
* Review and follow up on pending conflicts reports to confirm that potential conflict issue are addressed.
* Assists with the review and resolution of potential conflicts associated with new and lateral lawyers.
* Work closely with the firm's general counsel, the chair of the firm's ethics committee, and the Associate Director, Conflicts and New Matter In-Take.
* Participate in ethics training for lawyers.
* Keeps abreast of current legal and other developments that may affect the Firms conflicts of interest procedures.
* Handle special projects and perform additional duties as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
* At least 3years (and preferably 5years) experience in a large law firm, with at least 1year experience in the area of conflicts, compliance, or risk management.
* Legal writing and research experience related to the skills or duties described above.
* Ability to consistently exercise discretion and independent judgment with respect to matters of significance.
* Demonstrate consistency in exhibiting mature judgment and handling confidential information appropriately.
* Effective communicator with strong oral and written communication skills.
* Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team with both lawyers and non-lawyers.
* Pro-active self-starter.
* Ability to see the big picture without losing sight of the details.
* Works well under pressure and deadlines.
* J.D. Required.
* Must have an active bar membership and be in good standing in at least one U.S. jurisdiction. Preferably New York State Bar.
Salary Market Price-like lobster!