Construction Estimator 8/11/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL SUMMARY
Estimator functions as a key member of the estimating team. The essential duties of the Estimator are to develop and present accurate and complete estimates based on preliminary and final designs which will provide our customers with high quality solutions at the most competitive cost. Presentation and proposal writing skills are a plus. Minimal travel is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS
* Develop a full understanding of company estimating policies and procedures, and company standards and comply with these at all times.
* Successfully utilize estimatingsystems andsoftware for the completion of estimates (e.g. Timberline, On-Screen Takeoff).
* Coordinate estimating efforts with other members of the company's estimating staff asrequired.
* Read, understand, and utilize mechanical, electrical, civil, structural andarchitectural drawings as key components of the estimating process.
* Identify scope of work, perform quantity takeoffs, and prepare cost estimates from various levels of design
* Solicit quotations from material vendors and subcontractors, evaluate responses and make recommendations.
* Quality proposal writing and presentations, whenrequired, to describe the proposed solution and respond torequirements. Provide written text to illustrate the understanding of therequirements and the plan designed to achieve the owner's goals.
* Develop innovative suggestions and methods for completing projects to enhance project's effectiveness and overall financial benefits to all parties.
* Successful turnover and continued involvement with other members of the estimating staff as well as the company's project construction team.
* Ensure estimates are complete, well organized and presentable in aqualityformat for review by the estimating and project teams.
* Work with minimal direction, manage time to meet tight project scheduledeadlines and successfully complete multiple tasks simultaneously.
* Work with professionalism at all times including with: Supervisor, peers in the department, others within the company, and all externalcontacts including subcontractors, materialcontractors, owner's representatives, etc.
* Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
* For Estimator, minimum educational requirement is an Associate's degree in Construction Management, technical design/estimating, or related field. BSdegree would be in a field such as: Construction Management or Engineering (Civil, Construction, Electrical, Mechanical, or Architectural).
* Minimum experience for a Senior Estimator:
* Five years commercial construction experience including a combination of estimating (two years minimum); and project engineering and/or project supervision/management.
* Minimum experience for an Estimator.
* Two years commercial construction experience with an aptitiuded and desire for estimating.
* An acceptable combination of education and experience will be considered.
* Skill set to include cost estimating, RFQ preparation, scheduling, contract negotiations, and presentations.
* Candidates will be technology literate and proficient in the Microsoft environment (Excel, Word, Outlook) and estimating software platforms.
* Experience with Timberline and/or On-Screen Takeoff estimating software is a plus. Proposal writing experience is also a plus.