LEARN Charter School Network (LEARN) opened its doors as a charter school in 2001 with the mission TO PROVIDE CHILDREN WITH THE ACADEMIC FOUNDATION AND AMBITION TO EARN A COLLEGE DEGREE. Our commitment to providing underserved communities with a high-quality, college prep elementary education is unwavering. LEARN currently serves 3,800 students (90% of which are low-income and 90% minority) across 9 campuses in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs with plans to expand to 16 campuses serving 8,000 students within the next 10 years.
LEARN is seeking an experienced, detail-oriented self-starter with problem solving skills and a team attitude to join our organization as Controller. This individual will report to the Chief Financial Officer and will play a critical role in directing all accounting procedures and activities in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). As a member of a rapidly expanding organization, this position promises to be fast-paced and full of opportunity to implement new and impactful initiatives.
* Review and approve all assignments and projects of the accounting team to ensure accurate and timely record-keeping in all areas of accounting including accounts payable processing, invoicing, the month-end close process, monthly accruals, maintenance of general ledger and all account reconciliations.
* Complete and prepare monthly financial reports (actual versus budget) and variance analysis to board and senior management. Work closely with senior staff to monitor department budgets and identify variances and solutions timely.
* Complete forecasts, cash flow projections and other reports and analyses as assigned by the Chief Financial Officer.
* Complete quarterly financial reporting to banking institutions, lenders and other regulatory agencies.
* Assist in reporting and analysis for New Market Tax Credits and Historical Tax Credits.
* Prepare and monitor bank covenant calculations.
* Ensure that the annual operating budget is accurately reflected in the accounting software.
* Coordinate the fiscal year-end annual financial audit, including the preparation and review of audit work-papers and IRS Form 990.
* Maintain high quality staff by coaching, counseling and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring and appraising job results.
* Stay abreast of emerging accounting and tax issues affecting the not-for-profit industry. Comply with federal, state and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements and advising management on needed actions.
* Ensure appropriate internal controls over LEARN's assets and in the assignment of responsibilities and duties.
* Establish and maintain long term secure record-keeping systems for all financial documentation required by audit and to ensure compliance with record retention policies.
* Review, recommend and implement accounting procedures to ensure accuracy, timeliness, internal financial controls and operational efficiencies. Recommendations for changes should be reviewed by the CFO and implemented as directed.
* Performs other job-related functions as required by the Chief Financial Officer.
* Bachelor's degree in Accounting; CPA and MBA preferred.
* Minimum of 7 years of professional experience in following: management of accounting team; general accounting; financial analysis and financial audits.
* Familiarity with generally accepted accounting principles and a firm understanding of accounting concepts. Knowledge of non-profit accounting standards, preferred.
* Strong mathematical, analytical and technical skills.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* High-level of proficiency with spreadsheets, computer application such as Word, Excel and accounting systems, a must. Experience with Blackbaud's Financial Edge and Raiser's Edge preferred, but not required.
* Strong organizational abilities with close attention to detail and precision.
* Ability to foster and work in a cooperative, team-oriented work environment.
* Team building, staff development and supervisory skills.
* Ability to keep information confidential.
* Strong customer service focus, with an ability to interact congenially and effectively with a diverse network of employees, customers and vendors.
* MISSION & CULTURE FIT - Believes that all students can achieve college success and exhibits an unwavering determination to do whatever it takes to help LEARN students achieve their goals.
* ENTREPRENEURIAL - Exudes a self-starter mentality and workstyle. Independently owns departmental work streams and projects and takes initiative to solve organizational issues proactively.
* COLLABORATION - Initiates, builds, and manages cohesive partnerships and professional relationships both internally and externally.
* PROBLEM SOLVER - Able to identify problems, collect and analyze data, establish facts and draw conclusions. Catches errors and proactively seeks out and identifies problems. Develops and implements recommendations for resolutions in adherence with all applicable compliance related rules and regulations.
* ORGANIZATION & PROJECT MANAGEMENT - Keeps track of upcoming, ongoing, and past work product. Quickly adjusts to shifting priorities and deadlines and can juggle multiple and varied projects simultaneously. Develops realistic action plans and utilizes team effectively to achieve department goals.
* DATA ANALYSIS & ANALYTICAL THINKING - Ability to build and create data, analyze statistics, identify trends and make balanced, objective recommendations in a proactive manner to achieve maximum results.