This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/15/2016
END DATE 11/9/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY About Us
Welcome to Ardent Mills, a new company dedicated to helping our customers innovate and grow, with the industry s broadest range of traditional and organic flours, whole grains, customized blends and specialty products. Our ingredients are backed by unrivaled technical support, food safety solutions and the supply assurance of a coast-to-coast network of more than 40 community mills and blending facilities, an artisan commercial bakery and a Mobile Innovation Center. We are Ardent Mills, working with you for the good of grain. And we re looking for dynamic people to join our team.
Ardent Mills is searching for a highly motivated, passionate lawyer to join our in-house legal staff. This person will be exposed to a variety of legal matters that pertain to the organization and will work under the direction of the General Counsel.
As a Corporate Counsel, this person will collaborate and work directly with the business to provide legal advice and risk management counseling on a variety of legal matters relating to the day to day operations of Ardent Mills.
The in-house team at Ardent Mills practices under a philosophy that no is rarely the correct answer. Rather, we strive to help the business find solutions to meet their goals while minimizing risk to Ardent Mills. We do so by understanding our business, connecting and relating to people, diversifying both our business and legal knowledge base, and remaining agile to adapt to different situations. Thus, candidates should have a strong understanding of business, strong teaming skills, excellent communication, a practical, solutions-oriented approach, the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, strong knowledge of various laws and issues, and creative thinking to find ways to legally navigate potential impediments to business objectives.
The ideal candidate will have the following attributes:
* Proven ability to serve as a strong business partner and proven history of building trust with others.
* Excellent communication, drafting and advocacy skills - speaks clearly and concisely; writes effectively and adapts communication to audience.
* Proven ability to influence at all levels within the organization and a strong history of collaborating with other team members and coaching others.
* Highly motivated self-starter, with capacity to assume responsibility and work independently.
* Experienced counseling and demonstrated ability to solve problems across broad range of legal and business issues.
* Demonstrated ability to operate in ambiguous situations, and work well under pressure, including working with multiple projects.
* Strong attention to detail, thinks strategically and deeply about issues of significant risk and opportunity and demonstrates superior risk management skills
* High impact execution, excellent time management and general organizational skills.
* Proven ability to manage conflict and apply business and legal judgment.
Above all you will be expected to carry out all your activities with reliability, integrity, compliance and in a safe, environmentally responsible, and efficient manner.
* Providing legal advice and risk management counseling to Ardent Mills on a variety of issues, including contractual and transactional matters such as customer and vendor agreements, product, supply and distribution agreements, real estate/property issues, and other contractual matters; regulatory and compliance matters; and real estate/property issues; and all domain areas of importance to the company including, but not limited to, commercial transactions, food law, antitrust/competition, environmental, mergers and acquisitions, labor and employment, intellectual property, etc; includes legal drafting and research.
* Practicing preventive law, including providing advice, and in coordination with the General Counsel, training and education in areas such as antitrust/competition, regulatory compliance, contracting practices, food law, corporate structuring, as well as assisting Ardent Mills on compliance with various company policies and procedures.
* Miscellaneous projects/duties as assigned by the General Counsel, which may include, but are not limited to, assisting the General Counsel/Corporate Secretary in preparing for Board Meetings and overseeing the books and records of the Company.
* Managing litigation relating to Ardent Mills business on matters such as commercial litigation, employment litigation, product liability, personal injury claims, and government enforcement actions, including budgeting and managing outside counsel.
* Actively participating and serving other members of the law team.
Skills & Experience
* Juris Doctor degree from an accredited institution (top 25% of law school class preferred)
* Three to eight Years practice experience as a licensed attorney
* Admitted to practice law in the State of Colorado or the ability to obtain membership in a reasonable amount of time
* Absence of negative disciplinary history concerning law license(s).
* Familiarity with U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
* Experience working at a food and/or commodity company.
* Experience working in-house or directly with business leaders of corporations.
* Experience working with contractual language, including the drafting, revising, and analysis of the same.
Ardent Mills is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
The preceding position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this position. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees in this position. The description, duties, functions, and responsibilities are subject to change at the discretion of Ardent Mills.