Corporate Counsel/Staff Attorney
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/14/2016
END DATE 12/16/2016
Stanley Black & Decker
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Description
Stanley Black & Decker, an S&P 500 company, is an $11 billion dollar diversified global provider of hand tools, power tools, electronic security solutions, mechanical access solutions, engineered fastening systems, and more. This opportunity resides within STANLEY Mechanical Solutions. This role provides counsel and advice to the STANLEY Mechanical Security (SMS) group, bearing responsibility for coordination and provision of various legal matters including, without limitation, customer and vendor contracting (including drafting/negotiating reseller and technology licensing agreements with our third party technology partners), government contracting and compliance, antitrust review, dispute resolution and litigation management, review of marketing and warranty content, corporate policy compliance and training, issues relating to manufacturing operations and other business-related matters. They will work in partnership with the STANLEY Mechanical Security (SMS) group, providing quality legal advice relevant to all matters of the business.
This position reports to the Senior Legal Counsel, STANLEY Security. This position will work closely with the Executives, Corporate Accounting department, Human Resources and Directors within the SMS group, outside counsel, vendors and the customer. There are no direct reports; however administrative support is provided through the legal department.
* Delivers timely, cost effective and technically accurate legal advice in a decisive and professional manner.
* Develop strong cross-functional working relationships to ensure the Legal Team and Stanley Security leadership is aware of key issues affecting the business.
* Engage and supervise outside legal counsel. Actively manage the agreement of legal fees for matters under external instructions; Audit and ensuring compliance with agreed fee arrangements.
* Ensure all commercial contracts are negotiated and completed within the legal parameters of the Stanley Delegation of Authority (DOA) and the appropriate jurisdictions.
* Foresees and protects the company against legal risk.
* Advises and provides support on any litigation or matters likely to become litigious within the SMS business.
* Familiar with a variety of legal concepts, practices and procedures.
* Provides confident dispute management expertise; able to anticipate issues, proposes and implements appropriate measures.
* Develop in-depth knowledge of the products and services offered, methods of distribution, and business processes to provide legal and business counsel on issues and strategic planning initiatives.
Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, required
Ability to demonstrate a broad sense of commercial awareness, required.
Ability to be detail oriented required.
Knowledge of personal computers, including electronic E-mail, personal scheduling, word processing and electronic spreadsheet skills-Excel.
Knowledge of general corporate transactional law required.
Knowledge of corporate governance law and trends.
Knowledge of contract development.
Strong working knowledge of technology licensing agreements and intellectual property terms related to vendor and customer contracts required.
Strong time management and organization skills required
Ability to supervise, coach and develop employees is necessary
* J.D. from an accredited law school and admitted into practice in at least one state (preferably Indiana)
* Has 7 or more years experience in private practice or an in-house position; in-house experience preferred
* Experience with:
o Commercial Sales, services distribution agreements
o Procurement agreements - technology licensing and data security
o State and/or Federal Government contracting agreements (i.e. GSA, Section 8A subcontracts, state procurement agreements, Department of Defense contracts, etc.)
* Experience with a provider of software/hardware technology services/products or physical security industry preferred.
* Must be able to manipulate a computer keyboard.
* Must be able to verbally communicate via telephone.
* Must be able to use public transportation for company travel.
* Must have the ability to lift up to 10 pounds.
* Less than 10% travel requirement.
All qualified applicants to Stanley Black & Decker will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
EEO Statement All qualified applicants that apply for Stanley Black & Decker will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.